to Newport. ABERGAVENNY. 25. Route. 201
Norman church of Kempley, with well-preserved mural paintings of the
12th cent, (in the chancel). — 19 M. Gloucester, see p. 178.
19 M. Ashperton; 22 M. Stoke Edith, with a beautiful park (see
p. 200) ; 25 M. Withington, with encaustic tile works.
30 M. Hereford, see p. 186. — 34]/2 M. Tram Inn. About
V2 M. from (37 M.) St. Devereux is the interesting late-Norman
*Church of Kilpeck, with elaborate sculptures, described as 'facile
princeps amongs its fellows of the same type'. — From (40'/2 M-)
Pontrilas a branch-line runs through the'Golden Valley' to (11 M.)
Dorstone and (16M.) Hay. The scenery now improves. To the right
rise the Black Mountains. — 46 M. Pandy is the nearest railway
station for Llanthony Abbey, 5 M. to the N.W. The ruins consist
of the church and chapter-house, and afford an interesting example
of Transition Norman (12th cent.), though part is as late as the
14th century. The Prior's Lodge is now an inn. Walter Savage
Landor (d. 1864) lived here for some years. Llanthony Monastery,
the home of Father Ignatius, lies about 4 M. farther up the valley.
■— 48V2 M. Llanvihangel is 6V2 M. from Llanthony Abbey.
Beyond Llanvihangel the Sugarloaf (1955 ft.), a spur of the
Black Mts., comes into view on the right. From (51 M.) Aberga¬
venny Junction a line (L. N. W.) diverges on the right to Rhymney
Bridge (for Cardiff), Merthyr Tydvil (p. 204), Dowlais , etc. Good
view to the right up the valley of the Usk.
52 M. Abergavenny (Angel, Greyhound, both well spoken of;
Swan), with 7795 inhab., is situated at the junction of the Vsk
and the Gavenny, and enclosed by well-wooded hills (see below).
It occupies the site of the Roman Gobannium and possesses the
remains of a Norman castle (adm. Id.) and a modernized Bene¬
dictine priory-church of the 14th cent., with several ancient mon¬
uments. Good fishing may be obtained in the Usk (day-tickets
for trout 2s. 6d., for salmon 5s.).
The Sugarloaf (1955 ft.) may be easily ascended from Abergavenny in
1V2-2 hrs. (pony 5s.). "View fine and extensive. The descent may be made
on the W. side to Crickhowell (see below). — The Blorenge (1908 ft.;
l'/2 hr.) commands an even finer view of the valley of the Usk, and Skyrrid-
Vawr (1600 ft.), 4 M. to the N. E., is also a good point of view.
Abergavenny is a good starting-point for a visit to Llanthony Abbey
(see above), which may be reached direct by road (IOV2 M.; carr. & pair
there and back 25s.) or partly by rail via, Llanvihangel or Pandy (see
above). — Another pleasant excursion may be taken up the finest part of
the valley of tbe Usk to (6'/2 M.; omn. Is. 6d.) Crickhowell (Bear), a
village with the remains of an old castle. Above Crickhowell the Usk
valley is also picturesque, and walkers or drivers will be repaid by
following it to (20 M.) Brecon (p. 214). — Tolerable walkers, who have
one day at Abergavenny, should ascend the Sugarloaf and return via,
From Abergavenny to Cardiff by the L.N.W.R. route, see above and p. 204.
Beyond (54^2 M.) Penpergwm we cross the Usk. ■— 61J/2 M.
Pontypool Road (Rail. Rfmt. Rooms), the junction of lines to Mer¬
thyr and Swansea (p. 207) and to Raglan and Monmouth (p. 183).
The industrial town of Pontypool (Crown, R. or D. 3s.; Clarence)