MALVERN. 25. Route. 199
the present building dates from 1886. Below the chancel of St. Wys-
tan is a pre-Norman *Crypt, with two staircases of similar date.
135 M. Derby, see p. 370.
25. From Worcester to Hereford and Newport.
Great Western Railway to (30 M.) Hereford in l-l3/4 hr. (fares 5s.,
3s. 2d., 2s. 5V2d.); to (711/4 M.) Newport in 3V«-3»/4 hrs. (fares lis. 2d.,
7s. 3d., 5s. 9'/2d.).
The train crosses the Severn and stops again at (1 M.) Henwick,
the junction for (13 M.) Bromyard. Beyond (4 M.) Brans ford Road
the Malvern Hills come into view on the right. — 7'/2 M. Malvern
Link; 83/a M. Great Malvern; 93/4 M. Malvern Wells.
Malvern. — Hotels. At Great Malvern: 'Imperial, near the station,
with pleasant grounds and brine baths, R. from 4s. 6d., D. 5s., pens, from
12s. 6d.; "Foley Arms, R. 5s. 6d., D. 5s., Tudor, both on the hill; "Abbey,
R. from 5s., D. 5s.; Bellevue, R.5s., D.5s., on the hill; Beauchamp, R. 5s.,
D.5s., commercial; Dr. Ferguson's Hydropathic. Also numerous Boarding
Houses (6-10s. per day) and Lodgings. — At Malvern Wells: Essington
Hotel, R. 2s. 6d., D. 3s.; South Lodge Pension, from ll. lis. Gd. per
week. — At North Malvern: North Malvern Hotel, R. or D. 3s. — At
West Malvern: Westminster Arms, well spoken of, R. or D. 3s. — Rail.
Rfmt. Rooms at Great Malvern.
Golf Links (18 holes), near Malvern Wells Station.
Cabs, Is. per mile or fraction of a mile for 1-2 pers.; each addit. pers.
6d. Carriage <fr Pair is. per hr., Is. 6d. for each addit. '/a hr., 21s. per
day; to Worcester and back 8s.; to the British Gamp and back by the
Wyche 8s.; to Eastnor Castle and back 12s.
Malvern, an inland health-resort, famous for its bracing air
and pleasant situation, includes the town of Great Malvern and
the villages of Malvern Link, Malvern Wells, Little Malvern,
North Malvern, and West Malvern, all consisting mainly of villas,
hotels, hydropathic establishments, and boarding-houses. Pop.
(1901) 16,448. The first four lie at the E. base of the Malvern
Hills, a small chain 9 M. long and 1000-1400 ft. high, forming
the watershed between the Severn and the Wye; while the other
two are on the N. and W. slopes of the same range. Great Malvern
contains the best hotels and boarding-houses and the principal
shops; but visitors in search of quiet or economy will probably
prefer one of the villages. The principal springs are St. Ann's Well
(766 ft.), at Great Malvern, the Holy Well (680 ft.), above Malvern
Wells, and the Royal Well (1150 ft.), near West Malvern. Malvern
is a great educational centre, the chief school being Malvern Col¬
lege, opened in 1865. — Mme. Goldschmidt (Jenny Lind; 1821-87)
is buried in the Cemetery, near Great Malvern station.
The beautiful *Priory Church, belonging to a priory founded
in the 11th cent., is externally a Perp. edifice, with a tower appar¬
ently modelled on that of Gloucester Cathedral. The nave, how¬
ever, and part of the rest of the interior are Norman. The N.W.
Porch was restored in 1895,