198 Route 24. BURTON-ON-TRENT.
also produced for commercial use. — Droitwich is the junction of the
G. W. I!., lines to Shrewsbury (p. 196) and to Kidderminster (p. 274) and
Wolverhampton (p. 274).
75 M. Stoke Works, with the extensive Stoke Prior Salt Works,
covering 30 acres. Beyond (78 M.) Bromsgrove (Golden Cross, R.
3s.), with 8416 inhab. and quaint gabled houses, the train ascends
one of the steepest railway-inclines in England (1: 37). — 81V2 M.
Barnt Green is the junction of a line to Alcester, Redditch (Uni¬
corn; Royal, R. & B. 3s. 6d., D. 2s.; American Agent, Mr. William
U. Breuer), Broom (for Stratford), and Evesham (p. 197). — 85 M.
Northfield is the junction of a line to (7 M.) Halesowen, with the
grave of the poet Shenstone (d. 1763) in the churchyard, and the
ruins of an old abbey. — 87!/2 M. Boumville (p. 273).
92y2 M. Birmingham (New St. Station; Rfmt. Rooms), see p. 268.
The first stations beyond Birmingham areSaltley, Castle Brom-
wich, and (96 M.) Water Orton, the junction of a line to Walsall
and Wolverhampton (see p. 274). From (101 M.) Whilacre a line
runs to the right to Nuneaton and Leicester (p. 372).
lliy.2 M. Tamworth (Castle; Peel Arms), a town with 7271 in¬
hab., on the Tame, lies partly in Staffordshire and partly in War¬
wickshire. The old Castle, bought by the Corporation in 1897,
was erected by Robert Marmion, a celebrated Norman baron, whose
name and description were appropriated by Scott for his well-
known hero. The Church, also an ancient building, contains
effigies of tbe Marmion family and a monument to Sir Robert Peel.
The curious double winding staircase in the tower deserves notice.
In the market-place is a bronze statue, by Noble, of Sir Robert Peel
(d. 1850), who represented Tamworth in parliament. Drayton
Manor, cnce the family-seat of the Peels, lies 2 M. to the S.; and
the great minister is interred in the village-church of Drayton
Bassett. — Tamworth is also a station on the L. N. W. R. (p. 369).
1241/2 M. Burton-on-Trent (Queens, R. & B. 5s. 6d., D. 3s. 6d.;
White Hart; Station Hotel; George; Rail. Rfmt. Rooms), famous for
its breweries, is situated on the left bank of the Trent, here crossed
by a long bridge. Pop. (1901) 50,386. It is a place of ancient origin,
and the churchyard contains some relics of an Abbey founded at
the beginning of the 11th century. The Town Hall, built in 1896
at a cost of 64.000Z., was presented to the town by Lord Burton.
The lions of the place are the huge breweries of Bass fy Co. and
Allsopptf Co. (apply at the offices). The former covers over 200 acres
of ground, employs between 3000 and 4000men, brews annually
1,400,000 barrels of ale and stout , uses 160,000 railway trucks,
and pays 475.000L a year for beer-duty.
From Burton branch-linf'S diverge on the left to Uttoxeter (p. 365), the
Potteries (p. 364), and Crewe (p. 364), and on the right to A.ihby-de-la-
Zouche (p. 374), Leicester (p. 371), etc.
Near (129 M.) Repton $ Willington we cross the Dove. Repton,
1 M. to the E., has a well-known grammar-school, founded in 1661;