to Derby. WORCESTER. 24. Route. 195
of the 14th century. The episcopal effigies in front of the altar are those
of Bishops de Blois (d. 1236) and de Cantilupe (d. 1266). The sculptured
Arcade running round the Lady Chapel and the E. Transepts is of con¬
siderable interest. In the N.E. Transept is the Monument of Mrs. Digby
(d. 1820), by Chuntrey.
The 'Crypt, entered from the S.W. Transept, resembles that of Glou¬
cester in preserving the apsidal termination of the earlier Norman church.
It differs, however, from that and other Norman crypts in the lightness
and elegance of its supporting columns. The groined roof also is fine.
The Perp. Cloisters, entered from the S. aisle of the nave, have
been carefully restored. At the W. end of the N. walk of the Cloisters
is a tombstone bearing the single word 'Miserrimus'. The somewhat pro¬
saic explanation is that it marks the grave of a Minor Canon, who was
deprived of his preferments on refusing to take the oath of supremacy on
the accession of William III. Wordsworth's well-known sonnet takes a
more romantic view.
From the E. side of the Cloisters we enter the decagonal ''Chapter
House, one of the earliest examples of vaulting borne by a single column
in the centre. The masonry of the walls is mainly Norman, while the
windows are of later insertion.
From the top of the Tower (adm. 6d.), which contains a set of
chimes, a fine view, extending to the Malvern Hills, is enjoyed.
The Chapter Librart, now housed in the triforium of the S. aisle
of the nave, contains about 4000 printed vols, and some interesting MSS.
— Triennial Musical Festival (at Worcester in 1903), see p. li-'O.
Among the remains of the Benedictine Priory, with which the
cathedral was originally connected, the most important is the
*Refectory, to the S. of the Cloisters, a fine hall of the 14th cent.,
120 ft. long, with a Norman crypt below. It is used for the Cathe¬
dral Grammar School, and has lately been restored. The present
ceiling is an imitation of the original. To the W. of the Cloisters
are some fragments of the Dormitory, and to the E., on the N. side
of College Green, are the ruins of the Guesten Hall (1320). — The
chief entrance to the College Green is the so-called Edgar s Tower
or St. Mary's Gate, at the S. E. angle of the cathedral; it perhaps
dates from the 13th, or even the 12th, century. To the S. of the
College Green stood Worcester Castle , of which no trace has been
left. *View of the Severn, with its two bridges, and of the suburbs
on the left bank, from the S.W. side of the close. The Malvern
Hills form the background. — A little to the N.W. of the cathedral.
on the river, is the old Episcopal Palace, now the Deanery (PL C, 4).
The present residence of the Bishop is Hartlebury Castle (p. 196).
In Sidbury, to the S.E. of the Cathedral, is the *Commandtry
(PL C, 5), perhaps the most interesting of the many ancient houses
in Worcester (adm. Is., including guidebook; entrance by the iron
gate beside No. 11, Sidbury). Originally founded by St. Wulfstan
in the 11th cent, as a hospital, suppressed in 1524, and now pri¬
vate property, it is a fine example of Tudor domestic architecture
with admirable oak-carving and interesting stained glass. The
name, however, is misleading, as the building never had any con¬
nection with a military order.
Sidbury is prolonged towards the N. by Friar St. and New Street,
both containing quaint houses, to the Corn Market (PL C, 4), where,