194 Route 24. WORCESTER. From Bristol
restoration, though urgently needed and carried out with great
taste, has somewhat impaired the interest of the exterior by depriv¬
ing it of its air of venerable antiquity. Visitors are admitted from
9 to 6 in summer, and from 9.30 to 5 in winter; 6d. is charged for
adm. to the choir and crypt, and 6d. extra for the ascent of the
tower (week-day services at 10.15 a.m. and 4.15 p.m.). The most
famous bishops of Worcester were Si. Wulfstan (1062-95) , Can-
telupe (1237-66), Hugh Latimer (1535-39), Prideaux (1641-50),
Stillingfleet (1689-99; see below), and Hurd (1781-1808). The
usual entrance to the cathedral is by the IV. Porch (1386).
The imposing "Interior has, in its magnificent groined roof, extend¬
ing in an unbroken line for 387 ft., a feature that perhaps no other
English cathedral can match. The modern decoration has been carried
out with great skill and judgment, the tiled flooring being particularly
worthy of notice. The stained glass is modern. With the exception of its
W. end (ca. 1160), the Nave in its present form is later than the choir, and
there are differences of detail between its N. and S. sides (see p. 193), the
advantage lying with the older work on the N. The unusual arrangement
of the triforium and clerestory of the two Transitional Norman bays at
the W. end should be noticed. The arched recesses in the wall of the
S. aisle prove that the lower part of it is a relic of the Norman cathedral.
The W. window was altered and the W. entrance re-opened in the course
of Scott's restoration. At the W. end of the S. aisle is a mural monument
to Bishop Gauden (d. 1662), believed to be the real author of the lEikon
Basilike' ascribed to Charles I. The handsome modern Pulpit is the gift
of the late Lord Dudley.
The W. Transepts contain a good deal of Norman masonry, partly
concealed by later work, of which the Perp. veil of tracery in the S.
arm is noteworthy. The difference between the Norman and later masonry
is easily recognised. In the E. wall of the N. arm is a Norman arch,
below which has been placed the monument of Bishop Hough (d. 1743),
a masterpiece of Roubiliac. Bishop Stillingfleet (d. 1699) is also buried here.
The S. arm is almost entirely filled by the Organ, in front of which is the
tomb of Bishop Philpott (1807-92).
The "Choir is separated from the nave by one of these elaborate
screens which may be looked upon as the signs-manual of Sir G. G.
Scott's restorations; and there are also metal gates at the ends of the
aisles. The choir dates from the purest E. E. period, and impresses by
its richness and uniformity. As at Salisbury (p. 102), slender shafts of
Purbeck marble play an important part in the general design. The
carving of the bosses and capitals is very delicate, and the modern paint¬
ing of the groined roof is effective. The "Stalls date from 1379, and have
been restored and supplemented by modern work; the misereres are very
quaint. The Episcopal Throne and the Reredos are modern; the Pulpit
dates from the 17th century. Near the centre of the choir is the Mon¬
ument of King John (d. 1216), who died at Newark (p. 444) and was buried
here at his own request; the monument consists of a sarcophagus-tomb
of the 16th cent., surmounted by an effigy of the 13th, said to be the earliest
existing effigy of an English monarch. To the right of the altar is the
Chantry of Prince Arthur, elder brother of Henry VIII., who died at Lud¬
low Castle (p. 189) in 1502 and was interred here; the chantry is a good
specimen of the Tudor style. Adjacent are tbe monuments of Lord Dudley
(d. 1885) and Lord Lyttelton (d. 1876). The S. aisle of the choir is adjoined
by the E.E. Chapel of St. John (restored in 1895).
Beyond the sanctuary, forming the E. termination of the cathedral, is
the Lady Chapel, erected before the choir, which was built to har¬
monize with it in structural and ornamental treatment. On the S. wall
i3 a tablet to the memory of Izaak Walton's wife, a sister of Bishop Ken
with a quaint epitaph, written by her husband; and near it is a fine effigy