to Derby. CHELTENHAM. 24. Route. 191
waters are chalybeate and saline, and are considered efficacious for
dyspepsia and affections of the liver. Among the residents are
numerous retired civil servants and officers , while in winter the
town is crowded with fox-hunters. Anglo-Indians form so large a
part of its society, that the town has been called 'Asia Minor'. The
Cricket Week, held in August in the College Grounds, is a source
of attraction to many visitors. Cheltenham is a renowned educa¬
tional centre, and Cheltenham College, in the Bath Road, ranks high
among the public schools of England (600 pupils). It possesses a
Museum, open free, on Tues., 2-5 p.m. The Ladies' College, in Old
Well Lane, has 900 pupils. The Grammar School, founded in 1578,
occupies a handsome new building in High Street.
The principal business-street of the town is the High Street,
nearly 2 M. long, which intersects it from E. to W. Thence Pitt-
ville St. leads to theN. to Pittville Gardens(adm.2d.), a public park of
60 acres with a lake and the principal Pump Room. The *iVome»ade,
a shady avenue leading to the S. from the High St. to the fashionable
parts of the town, passes a fountain with a figure of Neptune (left)
and the New Club and a large Winter Garden (right), for exhibitions,
lawn-tennis, etc. Near the S. end of the Promenade are the Mont¬
pellier Gardens (adm. 2d.), with a small Spa, and the Montpellier Ro¬
tunda, used in winter for balls and concerts. — The parish-church
of St. Mary was erected in the 12-15th cent, and has been restored.
It possesses a fine rose-window and a finely groined N. porch, and
contains a brass of the Greville family (1513). In the churchyard
is a cross of the 15th cent, (restored). — The Public Library and
School of Art, in Clarence St., near the G.W.R. station, is adjoined
by the Museum and Picture Gallery. The last (10-4 free) contains
a good collection of Dutch and Belgian works (*Sleeping Man, by
Mieris; Tavern Scene, by Metsu), presented by Baron de Ferrieres.
The valuable private library (interesting MSS.) at Thirlestaine
House is shown to visitors provided with an introduction.
The environs of Cheltenham, including the Cotswold Hills, afford many
pleasant excursions. Among the places most visited are Leckhampton Hil
(980 ft.; view), 2 M. to the S.; Birdlip (view) and beyond it Cranham
Woods, 6 M. to the S.; Charlton Kings, 172 M. to the E.; Southam de la
Bere, a manor-house of the 15th cent., 2'/2 M. to the N. E., on the road
to Evesham; Postlip Manor House, and Norman Chapel, 5 M. to the N.E.;
Winchcornbe (p. 197) and "Sudeley Castle (with the grave of Katherine
Parr), 472 M. beyond Southam; Andoversford (Frog Mill Inn), 7 M. to
the E., and Chedworth, 9 M. to the S.E , both on the line to Cirencester
(p. 85); and the Seven Springs, another claimant to be the source of the
Thames (comp. p. 177), 372 M. to the S. — Railway-excursions may be made
to Berkeley Castle (p. 190), Tewkesbury (p. 192), Gloucester (p. 178), Evesham
(p. 197), and Worcester (p. 192).
From Cheltenham to Southampton, see p. 84.
Beyond Cheltenham the train next reaches (47 M.) Cleeve, the
station for Bishop's Cleeve, 3 M. to the N. E. The fine *Chnrch has
a Norman W. front and a Transition porch, with good stone groining.
— 51 M. Ashchurch (Rfmt. Rooms) is the junction of a line to (2 M.)