190 Route 24. CHELTENHAM. From Bristol
15 M. Wickwar. Near (17 M.) Charfield lies Tortworth Court
(Earl of Ducie), the park of which contains the largest chestnut-tree
in England (50 ft. in circumference), mentioned in a document of
the 13th century. Charfield is the station for Wotton-under-Edge,
2 M. to the E. — The column now visible on the left commemorates
William Tyndall, translator of the Bible, who was born in the
vicinity. — 22y4 M. Berkeley Road.
Fkom Berkeley Road to Lydney (Forest of Dean), 8M., branch-railway
in 72 hr. — 274 M. Berkeley (Berkeley Arms, R. 3s., D. 2s. 6d.), a small town
with 6277 inhab., was the birthplace of Edward Jenner (1749-1823), the
discoverer of vaccination. "Berkeley Castle is an ancient baronial castle,
with a moat and keep, still occupied as a dwelling (Lord Fitzhardinge).
It contains some portraits of the Berkeley family, the cabin furniture of
Admiral Drake, and other interesting relics. It was in this castle that
Edward II. was murdered in 1327. The keep and historic apartments are
open to visitors on Mon., Wed., & Thurs., 11-1 and 2-4 (tickets, Is., at the
station or from Miss Smith, stationer, High St.). Berkeley Church contains
two epitaphs by Swift, one on Dicky Pearce, the jester. — 4 M. Sharpness
(Severn Bridge Hotel), on the Severn, is the foreport of Gloucester, with
which it is connected by a canal (see p. 178 ; steamer twice daily Is.). —
Tbe line now crosses the Severn by the magnificent "Severn Bridge, 3/t M.
long, to (574 M.) Severn Bridge Junction. — 81. Lydney Junction, see p. 181.
24 M. Coaly Junction is the station for Dursley (Old Bell), a
wool-manufacturing town, with a Dec. church. — 27 M. Frocester
(p. lvi). 28'/2 M. Stonehouse, junction for Nailsworth and Stroud,
has another station, about 1 M. distant, on the G.W.R. (see p. 177).
37 M. Gloucester (Midland Station; Rfmt. Rooms), see p. 178.
■— Beyond Gloucester, the cathedral tower of which is well seen to
the left, we pass Churchdown and soon reach —
43y2 M. Cheltenham. — Hotels. *Qceen's , at the S. end of the
Promenade, R. 4s. 6d., D. 5s., pens. 372?. per week; *Ploogh, High St.,
an old and comfortable house, with the largest stable-yard in England;
Lansdown Private Hotel, Lansdown Place, near the Midland Station;
Bellevoe, Royal, Fleece (these two commercial), Lamb, all in High St.
Restaurants. George's, Jennings's, High St.; Lock's, Clarence St.; Rail.
Cabs. One-horse cab for 1-2 pers. Is. per mile, 3 or more pers. Is. 6d.;
for each addit. 72 M. 6d.; two-horse cab for 1 or more pers., 1 M. Is. 6d.,
I72 M. 2s. 6d., 3 M. 3s., each addit. 1/z M. 9d. By time: one-horse cab
2s 6d. per hr., two-horse 4s. — Omnibuses ply from the railway-stations
into the town, and the hotels send omnibuses to meet the principal trains.
Motor-Omnibus from the G. W. R. station to Winchcombe (p. 191; for
Broadway, etc.), several times daily (fare Is. 3d.).
Railway Stations. Great Western Station, St. James Sq., for Gloucester,
London (37a-43/4 hrs.; fares 19s., 12s., 9s. 6d.), Oxford, etc.; Midland Railway
Station, Queen's Road, for Gloucester, Bristol, Birmingham, and the North.
Opera House and Theatre, Regent St. — Assembly Rooms, High St., for
balls, concerts, etc. Visitors apply to the Committee. — Music. Subscription
Concerts in the Montpellier Rotunda; the Town Band performs in the morning
and afternoon in the Montpellier Gardens and other parts of the town.
Cheltenham, a frequented and well-built inland watering-
place with (1901) 49,439 inhab., is pleasantly situated on the Chelt,
in a fertile plain, bounded on the S. E. by the Cotswold Hills. Its
springs were discovered in 1716, but it was not till after the visit
of George III. in 1788 that it became a fashionable resort. The