186 Route 23. HEREFORD.
open to the public on certain Thurs. in July and August. The Wye
is crossed several times.
144 M. Hereford. — Hotels. "Green Dragon (PL a; B, 3), R. from
4s., D. 4s., Mitre (PI. b; B. 3), City Arms (PI. c; B, 3), all in Broad St.;
Greyhound (PL d; B, 3), High St.; Merton (PL e; D, 2), unpretending. —
Railway Refreshment Rooms.
Hereford, an episcopal city with 21,382 inhab., pleasantly situated
on the left bank of the Wye, is of very ancient origin. It was at
one time strongly fortified, and remains of the old walls are still
traceable. The see dates from the 7th cent., when it was detached
from that of Lichfield. The Castle, built to hold the Welsh in
check, and described by Leland as 'one of the fayrest, largest, and
strongest castles in England', has almost wholly disappeared (comp.
p. 188). Hereford carries on an extensive trade in the agricultural
produce of the district (comp. p. 182).
From Barr's Court Station (PI. D, 1) , used in common by the
G. W., L. N. W., and Mid. Railways, Commercial Road and Com¬
mercial St. lead to the square known as the High Town. Here, to
the left, rises the so-named *Old House (PL C, 3), a picturesque
example of a half-timbered dwelling (about 1620; restored in 1882),
now used as a bank. The Church of All Saints (PL B, 3), in High St.,
farther to the W., contains choir-stalls of the 15th cent., a chained
library in the vestry, etc. — From this point Broad St. runs to the
S. to the cathedral, passing the Free Library d> Museum (PL 2;
B, 3). The latter (open daily 10-5, free) contains local antiquities
(including a fine Roman monolithic altar), fossils, and birds.
The *Cathedeal (PI. B, C, 3 ; SS. Mary <y Ethelbert), the fourth
church on the same site, begun in 1079 on the destruction of its
predecessor by the Welsh (1055), and not finished till 1530,
naturally shows an interesting mixture of architectural styles. The
nave, S. transept, choir, and piers of the tower are Norman; the
Lady Chapel is E.E. (1226-46); the N.W. transept was rebuilt in
1250-88; the inner N. porch was erected about 1290. The central
tower (165 ft.) dates from the 14th, and the cloisters from the
15th century. The addition of the outer N. porch (about 1530)
completed the building as it now stands. The W. facade was
marred at the end of last century during the 'renovation' under¬
taken by Wyatt (p. 102) in consequence of the fall of the W. tower
(1786), but the whole building was afterwards restored with success
by Sir G. G. Scott (1856-63).
The daily services of the cathedral are held at 10 a.m. and
4.30 p.m. Visitors are requested to inscribe their names in a book
and contribute 6d. to the building-expenses. The usual entrance
is by the *North Porch, the outer portion of which is Perp. and the
inner E. E. (see above). The principal dimensions of the cathe¬
dral are: length 342 ft., breadth of nave and aisles 73 ft., length
of transepts 146 ft., height of nave 64 ft.