178 Route 23. GLOUCESTER. From London
the Welsh hills beyond the valley of the Severn. To the right rise
114 M. Gloucester. — Hotels. 'Bell, Southgate St., R. from 4s.,
D. 4s. 6d.; Wellington, opposite the G. W. station, R. 4s., D. 3s. 6d.;
Ram, Southgate St., R. 2s. 6d.; New Inn, Northgate (see below), com¬
mercial, R. 4s. 6d., D. from 2s. Gd.; Royal, opposite the Midland Station,
R. 3s. Gd., D. from 2s. 6d.; Fowler's Temperance. — Railway Refreshment
Rooms; Cathedral Tea Rooms, 4 College St.
American Consular Agent, Mr. Arnold H. Palin, Commercial Road.
Cabs for 1-2 pers. Is. per mile, each addit. pers. 6d.; per hour 2s. 6d.
— Tramways radiate in the four cardinal directions from the Cross.
Railway Stations. The station of the G. W. Railway (for London,
Hereford, Cheltenham, South Wales, etc.), in Station Road, is connected
by a covered bridge with the Midland Railway Station (for Cheltenham,
Birmingham, Bristol, etc.).
Steamers (small and crowded) ply in summer to Tewkesbury (p. 192), calling
near Deerhurst (p. 192), and through the ship-canal to Sharpness (see below).
Theatres. Royal, Royal Albert, both in Westgate Street.
Gloucester, the capital of Gloucestershire and the see of a bishop,
contains (1901) 47,944 inhab. and is pleasantly situated on the left
bank of the Severn, on the site of the British Caer Glowe ('fair
city') and the Roman Glevum. The ground-plan of the Roman
settlement is still preserved in the four main streets, which meet
at right angles at the so-called Cross in the centre of the town
and are named after the points of the compass (Northgate, South-
gate, etc.). Fragments of old Roman walls may be seen under
several of the houses in these streets. In 1643 the city successfully
resisted the Royalists for a month and compelled them to retire. In
consequence of this 'malignity' its fortifications were dismantled
at the Restoration.
Gloucester carries on a large trade in corn and timber and contains
extensive railway-carriage works (1100 hands), engineering works, flour-
mills, iron-foundries, etc. Its docks (1272 acres) are connected by the
Gloucester and Berkeley Ship Canal (16 M. in length) with the more extensive
docks at Sharpness (p. 180), on the estuary of the Severn.
Turning to the right at the foot of the approach to the Great
Western Station, we follow Market Parade and St. Aldate St. to
Northgate St., which ascends to the left to the Cross, passing the
New Inn, an interesting brick and timber edifice, erected about
1450 for the accommodation of pilgrims to the shrine of Edward II.
(p. 180). — From the Midland Station the same point is reached
by following the narrow street to the left, parallel with the railway,
to the level crossing, then following the broad Barton St. (tramway)
and Eastgate St. to the right, passing the Public Baths (r.), Guild
Hall (r.), and Market Hall (L).
Brunswick Road leads to the S.W. from Eastgate St., passing the
School of Science and Art and Museum (Roman antiquities; local relics), to
the Spa Pump Room, served by a chalybeate spring, immediately adjoining
which is the Public Park.
From the Cross, Westgate St. descends towards the cathedral;
No. 154 on this street is one of the most interesting old houses in
the city (best seen from the passage at the side).
The *Cathedral (Holy Trinity), a very handsome and elaborately