to Minehead. PORLOCK. 22. Route. 175
2. From Lynton and Lynmouth to Minehead.
a. By the Coach Road , 20 M.. We cross the bridge at Lyn¬
mouth and ascend the long and steep hill (fine retrospects) to the
right to (2 M.) Countisbury (Blue Ball Inn). About halfway up, a
path on the left diverges to Sillery Sands. Beyond Countisbury
the road skirts the N. margin of Exmoor Forest.
Exmoor Forest, a tract of hilly moorland, about 30 sq. M. in extent,
in many respects resembles a miniature Dartmoor (see p. 143), though
the granite tors of the latter are here replaced by the less rugged out¬
lines of slate and sandstone formations. It is known for its ponies, of
which the genuine breed is now rare, its red cattle, and its sheep. It is
the only part of England where the red deer still occurs in a wild state,
and the Exmoor stag-hounds attract numerous visitors. The hunting-season
usually opens with a meet at Cloutsham (see below) in the second week of
August (comp. p. 13i). Good fishing is afforded by the numerous streamlets
traversing the Forest. The highest point of Exmoor is Dunkery Beacon (see
below), and many of its other hills attain an elevation of 1200-1600 ft.
For excursions into or across Exmoor, see pp. 173, 174.
About 1 M. from Countisbury a road on the right descends to
the valley of the Brendon (p. 174). To the left we have fine views
over the Bristol Channel, with the Welsh coast in the background.
Farther on we pass, on the left, the Old Barrow (1135 ft.) and the
entrance to Glenthorne (p. 176; seen below, to the left), and then,
at (2!/2 M.) County Gate (1060 ft.), we leave Devon and enter
Somerset. To the right are Malmsmead and the Badgeworthy Glen
(p. 173). A road on the same side diverges to ('/2 M.) Oare Church.
On the right, 3'/2 M. farther on, a road diverges to Oareford, and
at the so-called (1 M.) White Stones another on the same side leads
to (5 M.) Exford (Edgcott Hotel; White Horse), an angling resort
on the Exe, with the kennels of the Devon and Somerset stag¬
hounds. The old road to West Porlock and Porlock (good views)
diverges to the left about Y4 M. farther on, while the easier but
less attractive new road leads in a straight direction to (2'/2 M.;
13 M. from Lynmouth) .—
Porlock (Lorna Doone; *Ship, R. 3s., D. 2s. 6d., pens. 7s. 6d.,
unpretending; Castle), a picturesque little village about 1/2 M.
from the sea, between Porlock Hill and Bossington Beacon. The
Church of St. Dubricius (restored in 1891) contains some interest¬
ing tombs. About 1 M. to the W., on the old road, is West Por¬
lock , and V2 M. beyond it, on the coast, is the little harbour of
Porlock Weir (*Anchor Inn).
Porlock is the best starting-point for an ascent (2-3 hrs.) of Dunkery
Beacon (1707 ft.; 'View), which rises about 4 M. to the S. Driving is practic¬
able, via Luckham (or Luccombe), to a point within easy reach of the top,
but the best pedestrian route is by Homer Woods and Cloutsham. — The
descent may be made on the S.W. side to (3>/2 M.) Exford (see above),
vhence we may go on to (4>/2 M.) Simonsbath (p. 174).
Beyond Porlock the road leads somewhat circuitously to (2 M.)
Holnicote, where it skirts the park of Sir Thomas Acland (to the
right). The coach goes straight on to (41/2 M.) Minehead, but
carriages should diverge to the left and follow the much prettier