146 Route 17. PLYMOUTH. Guildhall.
chap. xxx). The statue , erected in 1884, is a replica of that at
Tavistock (p. 143). Close by is the Armada Tercentenary Memorial,
erected in 1890. To the E. is the upper part of Smeaton's original
Eddystone Lighthouse (adm. Id.), re-erected here in 1882-84
(comp. p. 149). The *View from the top is very extensive, in¬
cluding (on a clear day) the Eddystone Lighthouse, 14 M. to the S.
The *Sound, or roadstead of Plymouth, about 3 sq. M. in ex¬
tent, is one of the finest bays on the S. coast of England. In the
middle lies the small fortified St. Nicholas or Drake's Island (PL C,
D, 4). To the W. rises Mount Edgcumbe (p. 148). To the E.
is the rocky islet of Mewstone. On the S. side the entrance to the
Sound is defended by the ^Breakwater, a stupendous piece of gra¬
nite masonry, 1 M. in length , constructed in 1812-40 at a cost of
1,580,000Z. The top forms a pleasant promenade, and it may be
reached from Plymouth by an excursion-steamer (6d.; landing in
boat Id.) or by small boat (about 2s.). At the W. end is a small
Lighthouse, the top of which affords a good view (small gratuity to
the keeper). Just inside the Breakwater is a circular fort like
those at Portsmouth (p. 58). The entrance to the Cattewater (PL
F, 4) is also sheltered by a breakwater, 1000 ft. long, projecting
from Mount Batten Point. 'Kitchen Middens' found here prove
the existence of a prehistoric population near Plymouth.
To the E. of Smeaton's Tower is the Citadel (PL E, 3), erected
in 1670, and now somewhat out of date as a fortress (view from
the ramparts). Outside its walls is a Marine Biological Laboratory,
opened in 1888, with an aquarium below (adm. daily 10-6, 6d.;
Wed.2-6, 2d.). Below the Hoe arc a fine Promenade Pier(adm. 2d.;
band) and the Bathing Places for ladies and gentlemen.
From the Marine Laboratory we may follow the Promenade to
the E., and at the end pass through a narrow passage beneath the
Citadel, which brings us to Commercial Road, with the Phoenix
Wharf. Farther on is the quaint bit of old Plymouth known as the
Barbican, which lies on the edge of Sutton Pool (PLE, F, 3). The
'Dutch auctions' of fish here are amusing. On the ground in front
of the Customs Watch House, at the beginning of the W. pier, is
a slab and on the adjoining parapet is an inscription, placed here
in 1891 to commemorate the departure of the 'Mayflower' (p. 145)
in 1620. — Ferry across the Cattewater, see p. 145.
We next make our way through Southside St., Notte St., and
St. Andrew's St. to the Church of St. Andrew (PL E, 2), dating
from the 15th cent., and restored by Sir G. G. Scott in 1874-75.
Among the numerous monuments in this church may be mentioned
the tablet to Charles Mathews (1776-1835; W. end of N. aisle), and the
monuments to Dr. Woolcombe (d. 1822), by Westmacott (S. aisle) and
Zachariah Mudge (d. 1769) by Chantrey (S. choir-aisle). The heart of Admiral
Blake (1599-1657) is said to be buried at the back of the S. choir-stalls.
The church faces Guildhall Sq., on the right side of which are
the Municipal Offices and on the left the Guildhall, two handsome