17. From Exeter to Plymouth.
a. Great Western Railway.
53 M. Railway in iys-S1/* hrs. (fares 8s. 9d., 5s. 6d., 4s. 4»/2d.). This
route traverses a most picturesque district and skirts the S. side of Dart¬
moor (p. 143).
Exeter, see p. 106. — Soon after leaving the station we obtain
a fine view, to the left, of the mouth of the Exe. Beyond (4*/2 M.)
Exminster, to the right, is Powderham Castle, seat of the Earl of
Devon (no adm.). 8J/2 M. Starcross (Courtenay Arms), the station
for Powderham, lies opposite Exmouth (ferry, see p. 109).
12 M. Dawlish. (Royal; Albert; London, R. 3s. 6d., D. 3-5».), a
favourite little sea-bathing resort, under the lee of the Great Hal-
don (818 ft.), with comfortable bathing-arrangements. Ferry to
Exmouth, 2d. —Near Dawlish the train reaches the coast and trends
to the right. To the left are some curious detached rocks.
15 M. Teignmouth (Royal, on the Den; London, R. 3s. 6d.;
West Lawn Private, 42s.-63s. per week, less in winter; Queen's), a
large watering-place prettily situated at the mouth of the Teign,
here spanned by a timber bridge 1670 ft. long. From the middle of
the grassy promenade called the Den a pier runs out into the sea.
Numerous pleasant walks and drives in every direction, one of the
pleasantest being to the top of the Little Haldon (800 ft.). Omni¬
bus thrice daily to (2 M.) Bishop's Teignton (Huntly Hydropathic
Establishment, 9s. per day, 3f. 3s. per week, quiet, well spoken of).
The line now skirts the estuaTy of the Teign, commanding a good
view of the Haytor and Rippon Tor on Dartmoor (p. 143).
20 M. Newton Abbot (*Globe, R. 4s., D. 5s.; Commercial, both in
the town, Y2 M. from the station; Queen's, R. from 3s. 6d., D. from 3s.,
near the station), a pleasant little town in the valley of the Leman,
the junction of lines to Moreton Hampstead and to Torquay and Dart¬
mouth. Its two lions are Ford House (on the Torquay road), a good
specimen of theTudor style, and the Stone on which William III. was
first proclaimed king of England in 1688 (in the centre of the town).
The Grammar School is celebrated. A little to the W. is Bradley
House, parts of which date from the 14th century. Coaches run
twice daily to various points of interest on Dartmoor (comp. below).
From Newton Abbot to Moketon Hampstead , 12 M., railway in
Vs-3/* np- (fares 2s., Is. 4d., Is. 072d.). This line affords the most convenient
approach to the E. side of Dartmoor (p. 143). The first part of it follows
the valley of the Teign (pron. Teen). — 272 M. Teigngrace. — 4 M. Heath¬
field is the junction of a line from Exeter (p. 109).
6 M. Bovey Traeey (Union; Dolphin, R. 8s. 3d., D. 3s.) was long the
demesne of the Traeey family, and the parish-church is said to havefbeen
built and dedicated to St. Thomas of Canterbury by Sir William Traeey,
one of the archbishop's murderers. Bovey Traeey is a good centre for
excursions to (3 M.) Haytor, (4 M.) Manalon, etc. The coaches mentioned
at p. 109 start here at 10.15 a.m. and 12.30 p.m. daily in summer, returning
about 6 p.m. They vary their routes daily, visiting Haytor Rocks, Hound
Tor, Bowerman's Nose, Manalon, the Becky Falls, Moreton, Dunsford Bridge,