134 Route 16 TIVERTON.
surmounted by a tower. The Church is a Perp. (nave) and E.E. (choir)
edifice, with a fine Perp. screen.
243/4 M. Minehead (Milropole, Beach Hotel, both near the station and the
shore, at both R. from 4s. 6d., D. 5s.; Feathers, in the town, 7a M. from
the station, R. 3s. 6d., D. 4s. 6d.; Wellington; Pier, R. 2s.) is a little
watering-place at the E. base of North Hill, with a fair beach, a pier
(1901), an esplanade, golf-links, etc. It is a good starting-point for explor¬
ing Exmoor (see p. 175), and the Exmoor Stag Hounds hold some of their
meets in the vicinity. In summer coaches ply twice daily to (7 M.) Porlock
and (19 31.) Lynmouth (see p. 172), and another on Mon., Wed., and Frid.
to Dunster and Dulverton (5s. 6d.; see below). Among the pleasantest
points in the vicinity are Dunster (272 M.; p. 133), Cleeve Abbey (6 M.;
p. 133), Greenaley Point (l>/s 31.), Bossington Beacon (572 31.), Selworthy
(5 M.; on the way to Porlock), Grabhurst Hill, near Dunster, and the
Brendon Hills (p. 133).'
From Taunton to Barnstaple, 4472 M., railway in 172 hr. (7s. 6d.,
4s. 9d., 3s. 9d.). This line, skirting the S. slopes of Exmoor Forest (p. 175),
forms the direct railway approach to Ilfracombe (p. 168). — The first
station is (2 31.) Norton Fitzwarren (p. 133). — From (21 M.) Dulverton
(Carnarvon Arms, at the station, R. or D. 4s.; 'Lamb; Red Lion, in the
village, R. or D. 3s. 6d.), which lies 2 31. to the N. of the line, a visit may
be paid to (5l/i M.) the Tor or Tarr Steps, a rude stone bridge over the
Barle, whence the pedestrian may go on to (19 M.) Lynton (p. 172). Coach
to Lynmouth, see p. 170; to Sfinehead, see above. From Dulverton a
branch-line descends the valley of the Exe to Bamplon, (12 M.) Tiverton
(see below), and (26 31.) Exeter (p. 106). — The next important station is
(34 M.) South Motion (George, R. or D. 3s.), a small market-town, whence
there is a fine drive over Exmoor, via Simonsbalh (p. 174), to (22 M.) Lynton
(p. 172). — Farther on the train passes Castle Hill, the seat of Earl
Fortescue, and crosses the Bray by a viaduct 100 ft. high. — 41 M. Sicim-
bridge (p. 167). — 4472 M. Barnstaple, see p. 167.
From Taunton to Ilminsier and Chard, see p. 106.
52 M. Wellington (Squirrel, R. 4s., D. 3s. 6d.; King's Arms,
plain), a small town from which the Duke of Wellington takes his
title, lies at the foot of the Black Down Hills, one of which is
crowned with the (1 hr.) Wellington Monument. Beyond the White
Ball Tunnel, 5/g M. in length, the train enters the county of Devon,
renowned for its leafy lanes and wooded 'combes' or hollows, for
its clotted cream and its cider. — From (603/4 M.) Tiverton Junction
a branoh diverges on the right to (5 M.) Tiverton (Palmerston, R.
or D. 3s. 6<L; Angel, R. 3s. 6d., D. 4s.), a town of 10,382 inhab.,
pleasantly situated at the confluence of the Exe and the Leman or
Lowman. It contains a large Church of the 15th cent., the remains
of arr old Castle, Blundell's Grammar School (an old foundation),
and a Lace Factory employing 1200 work-people. To Dulverton
and Exeter, see above.
63 M. Cullompton (White Hart, plain), a small town of great
antiquity, has an interesting church of the 16th century. The line
now follows the valley of the Culm.
751/2 M. Exeter, see p. 106.