CLEVEDON. 16. Route. 127
ducted on the principle of trusting to the voluntary and unsolicited con¬
tributions of the charitable, and possess no endowments or regular income
of any kind. Visitors are admitted to the different houses on week-days
(Mon. excepted) at 2.30 and 3 p.m. (also 3.30 p.m. in summer). — Between
(43/4 M.) Fillon, and (672 M.) Patchway we join the main line from London
to S. Wales (R. 26), soon afterwards passing through the Severn Tunnel;
see p. 202.
From Bristol to Fkome, 2474 31., G. W. Railway in 1-174 hr. (fares
4s., 2s. 6d., 2s.). — Near (7 M.) Pensford are the great stone circles
of Stanton Drew (1 31. to the W.). From (10 31.) Hallatrow a short branch
runs to Camerton. —16 31. Radstock (p. 118). — 24x/2 M. Frome (Crown; George,
R. 3s. 6d., D. 3s. 6d.), a thriving agricultural and woollen-manufacturing
town, possesses a noble Dec. church (fee 6d.) splendidly restored by the
Rev. W. J. E. Bennett (d. 1886), who also erocted the 'Stations of the
Cross' in the niches of the wall beside the steps leading to the N. portal.
Bishop Ken (d. 1711) is buried in the graveyard, under the chancel-
window. At the W. end of the church, outside, is the Bennett 3Ieniorial
Cross. We here join the line from Chippenham and Westbury to Yeovil
(comp. pp. 113, 105). Longleat (p. 118) lies 3 31. to the S.E.
From Bristol to Taunton and Exeter, see R. 16; to Gloucester, Chelten¬
ham, Worcester, Birmingham, Derby, and the North, see R. 24.
16. From Bristol to Exeter.
757a 31. Great Western Railway in 172-4 hrs. (12s. 6d., 8s., 6s.
372d.). — The train passes through a flat country, with few views of the sea.
Beyond the suburban station of (1 M.) Bedminster the train
affords a view of the Suspension Bridge (p. 125) to the right and
passes between Dundry Hill (790 ft.; p. 126) on the left and Leigh
Down on the right. 53/i M. Flax-Bourton; 8 M. Nailsea. — 12 M.
Yatton, the junction for Clevedon (15^2 M.) and for Wells, with
an interesting church, visible to the left of the line.
Clevedon ("WaltonPark, I74M.from the station, R.4s.6d., D.5s.; Royal
Pier; Hydropathic, from 7s. 6d. per day), a small watering-place 4 31. to the
N.W., has a pier and a good beach. Henry Hallam (d. 1859), the historian,
and his son Arthur (d. 1833), the subjeet of Tennyson's 'In Memoriam', are
buried in Clevedon parish-church (St. Andrew's). Coleridge lived at Blyrtle
Cottage here for some time after his marriage and the abandonment of his
Susquehanna scheme(1795). "Clevedon Court, the 'Castlewood' of 'Esmond',
a line old baronial mansion, has a facade of the 14th cent.; the grounds
are open to pedestrians on Thurs., 2-5. Above Clevedon rises Dial Hill, an
excellent point of view, about 1 31. from which are the ruins of Walton
Castle. About 4 M. to the N.W. is a British entrenchment named Gadbury
Camp (not to be confounded with Cadbury Castle, p. Ill); at its base is
the ancient parish-church of Tickenham, dedicated to SS. Quiricus and
Julietta. — A steam-tramway plies hourly from Clevedon to Weston-super-
Mare (72 hr.; fare 8d.); an omnibus runs to Portishead (p. 126).
From Yatton to Wells, 18 M., railway in 1 hr. (fares 3s., Is.
10d., Is. frfed.). The first station is (l'/2 M.) Congresbury (Ship
& Castle), with a vicarage of the 15th cent, and a large village-cross.
Branch-railway to (672 M.) Btagdon (Seymour Arms; George), on the
N. slope of the Mendip Hills, via (3 M.) Wrington, (474 31.) Langford, and
(5 M.) Burrington. John Locke (1632-1704) was born (house pulled down) at
Wrington, the Perp. church of which has a fine square W. tower. Hannah
3Iore (l^S-lc'33) is buried in the churchyard.