122 Route 15. BRISTOL. Exchange.
more common in foreign than in English Romanesque churches of the
Wine St. ends at the junction with High St. (p. 121), oppo¬
site which Broad Street diverges to the W., containing, to the left,
the Guildhall (PL F, 3), a building iu the Elizabethan style (1843).
At the end is a gateway arch of the old City Wall, strangely sur¬
mounted by the spire of St. John's Church (PL F, 3; 15th cent.),
the, body of which is itself part of the wall. Beyond the archway
is Christmas Street, leading to Christmas Steps, a quaint and steep
lane at the top of which are some curious stone seats and a picturesque
alms-house, with a chapel (1504) dedicated to the Magi.
Returning to Wine St. we next enter Cobn Street (PL F, 4),
in which is the Council House, containing valuable old plate and a
line portrait by Van Dyck. In All Saints' Church, opposite, is the
tomb of Edward Colston (see below). On the same side (left) is the
Exchange (PL F, 4; 1740), in front of which are four singular metal
tables, known as the 'Nails'. These belonged to the Tolsey (men¬
tioned in Scott's 'Pirate'), the forerunner of the Exchange, and were
used by the merchants for making payments (hence, it is said, the
phrase 'pay on the nail'). Three of them bear dates (1594, 1625,
Nearly opposite the Exchange diverges Small Street (PL F, 3),
containing the Post Office and the Assize Courts. The latter, forming
the back of the Guildhall (see above), incorporate Colston's House
(see below), of which some interesting remains are pointed out to
visitors. — In Nicholas Street, to the left, is the handsome new
Stock Exchange (1903).
Corn St. is prolonged by Clare Street, from which a short street
on the right leads to St. Stephen's Church (PL F, 4), a late-Gothic
building of 1470, with a fine restored tower, of which Mr. Freeman
notes that it 'is remarkable for having ffisthetically dispensed with
buttresses'. Tradition says St. Augustine preached here.
Jlarsh Street, to the left (S), leads to King St., in which are a pic¬
turesque Sailors' Alms House (1696), the Theatre Royal, and the City Free
Library (PL F, 4), the earliest Protestant free library in England (1613),
containing a line sculptured mantelpiece by Grinling Gibbons and very
interesting B1SS. and early printed works. Farther on, beyond the Custom
House, is Queen's Square (PL F, 4, 5), the principal scene of the riots of
1831, with an equestrian statue of William III. by Rysbrach. David Hume
was a clerk at No. 16 Queen's Sq. (S. side) in 1734.
Clare Street ends at the handsome St. Augustine's Bridge (PL F, 4),
which occupies the site of the old Drawbridge, now the Tramways'
Centre (p. 119). The part of the Floating Harbour to the right (N.)
has been filled up, and the open space thus formed, called Colston
Avenue, is embellished with statues of Edmund Burke (M. P. for
Bristol, 1774-80) and Edward Colston. Colston Hall, to the N., re¬
built in 1900, can accommodate 4000 people.
Bristol occupies a leading position among English cities for the extent
and number of its charitable institutions; and the first place among its
philanthropists is unanimously accorded to Edward Colston (1636-1721)