to Bristol. CHIPPENHAM. 15. Route. 113
occupied almost exclusively by railway artificers and employees, who
are said to draw nearly 300,0002. a year in wages. The extensive
works of the railway-company are open to visitors on Wed. afternoon.
About 2 M. to the E. of Highworth (p. 112), on the road to Faringdon,
is Coleshill House, a good example of lnigo Jones (1550).
From Swindon Town to Cheltenham and to Southampton, see p. 85.
At (83 M.) Wootton Bassett the express trains for South Wales
(R. 26) quit the Bristol line. — From (88 M.) Dauntsey (Peter¬
borough Arms) a branch diverges to (6M.) Malmesbury (King's
Arms), the birthplace of Thomas Hobbes (1588-1679), with the ruins
of a fine *Abbey Church (12th cent.) and a Gothic market-cross.
Pop. 2854. William of Malmesbury, the chronicler (d. ca. 1143),
was a monk in the abbey. About 2 M. to the S. of Dauntsey station
is Bredenstoke or Clack Abbey, incorporating the remains of an
Augustine priory of the 12th century.
94 M. Chippenham (Angel; George), with 5074 inhab., is well
known for its corn and cheese markets. It possesses manufactures
of cloth, churns, and condensed milk. Fine old Norman church.
About 372 M. to the S.E. of Chippenham (2 M. from Calne) is Bowood,
the handsome seat, of the Marquis of Lansdowne, with a fine collection
of paintings of all schools, including 'Rembrandt's famous 'Mill', from the
Orleans collection, the most elfective landscape of the master, and examples
of Murillo, Ruysdael. Reynolds, etc. The park is usually open to the public.
Sloperton Cottage, 2 31. from Bowood, was occupied for 35 years by Thomas
Moore (1779-1852), who is buried in the neighbouring churchyard of Bromham.
To the S. of Chippenham (3 M.) lies Lacock Abbey, founded in 1232 as a
nunnery, but now a private residence. The conventual buildings are being
restored (adm. Is ).
From Chippenham a railway motor-oar runs to (1/4 hr.) Calne (bx/z M.
to the E.; Lansdowne Arms), with important pig-killing and bacon-curing
industry. Chippenham is tbe jun<'t;on of a line also* to Weslbury (for
Weymouth, Salisbury, etc.), see p. 111.
Beyond Chippenham the train follows the pretty valley of the
Avon. — 987< M. Corsham. In the village (Methuen Arms, R. 3s.,
D. 2s. 6d.), 3/4 M. from the station, is Corsham Court, the seat of
Lord Methuen, containing a valuable collection of pictures (adm. on
Tues. & Frid. in summer, 2-4 p.m., on application to the estate-
agent ; Is.). — The train then enters the Box Tunnel, l3/4 M. in
length, constructed at a cost of 500,0002., and near (102 M.) Box,
famous for its oolite stone quarries, passes into Somersetshire and
re-enters the Avon Valley. — 10472 M. Bathampton.
107 M. Bath. — Railway Stations. Great Western Station CP1. A, B,3),
on the S. side of the town; Midland Station (PI. C, 1; for Gloucester, Wor¬
cester, Birmingham, the Somerset and Dorset line, etc.), to the W. of
the town. — Hotel-omnibuses meet the chief trains.
Hotels. Grand Pump Room Hotel (PI. a; C,2), closed for reconstruc¬
tion; 'Empire (Pl.d; C,3), R. from 6s., D.5s.6d.; 'York House (Pl.b; D,2),
York Buildings, quiet; Lansdowne Grove, near St. Stephen's Church
(PI. F, 2), R. from 4s., D. 5s.; "Pulteney, Great Pulteney St., R. from 5s.,
n.5s.; Castle (PI. c;C, 2), Northgate St., R. 3s., D.3s 6d.: "Christopher
(PI. e ; C, 3), near the Abbey, commercial, R. 4s., D. 4s. 6d.; Royal Station
(PI. f; B, 3), R. from 3s. 6d., D. 4s., Railway (PI. g; B, 3), R. 3s., D. 3s. 6d.,
both opposite the G. W. R. Station; Francis' Private Hotels, Queen
Baedeker's Great Britain. 6th Edit. 8