to Bristol. DEVIZES. 15. Route. Ill
Mortimer is Strathfieldsaye, the seat of the Duke of Wellington, with the
camp-bed and other memorials of the Iron Duke, of whom a bronze statue
has been erected here. His charger 'Copenhagen', which he rode at the
battle of Waterloo, is buried in the garden. The house is closed but the
grounds are open to the public. — 14>/2 M. Basingstoke, see p. 77.
From Reading to Bath via Devizes, 70 M., G.W. R. in 31/2 hrs. (fares
lis. 10d., 7s. 6d., 5s. lid.). — 17 M. Newbury (Jack, R. 3s. 6d., D. 3s.;
Chequers), with 11,061 inhab., formerly the seat of an important cloth-
trade, was the scene of two battles in the Civil War (1643 and 1644),
in the first of which Lord Falkland fell (monument on the battlefield).
The ancient Cloth Hall is now a museum. Branch-lines run hence to
Didcot (see below) to the N., Winchester (p. 78) to the S., and (12 M.)
Lambourn, to the N.W. The park of Highclere Castle, the seat of the
Earl of Carnarvon, 6 M. to the S.W., is open to visitors on Wed. and
Saturday. The Norman church of Ashmansworth, a village near Highclere,
contains some faint allegorical frescoes of the 13th century. — 25>/2 M.
Hungerford (Bear; Three Swans) on the Kennel, a favourite angling-resort
and hunting-centre. April 16fh, called lTuttiday', is celebrated with curious
old-fashioned ceremonies. About 4 M. to the N.W. is Litllecote. Hall, a
good specimen of a 16th cent, manor-house (no adm.). — 34 M. Savernake
has another station on the line from Swindon to Andover Junction (p. 85).
Savernake Forest contains a splendid avenue of beeches and some gigantic
oaks. — 46 M. Patney <fc Chirton. The Weymouth trains here diverge to
the left (see below).
50 M. Devizes (Bear; Castle), a busy town (6532 inhab.) with an active
trade in grain. The name is derived from its Roman name, Castrum Divi-
sarum or Ad Divisas. The old Castle, erected in the reign of Henry I.
and destroyed in the 17th cent., has almost completely disappeared. The
churches of St. John and St. Mary have vaulted Norman choirs, and the
Museum (adm. 3d.) contains a fair collection of Wiltshire antiquities. The
Market Cross, erected in 1814, bears an inscription recording the 'special
judgment' that overtook a dishonest market-woman in 1763. — At (6S 31.)
Holt Junction we join the Chippenham and Frome line, which, however,
we quit again at the next station. — 61 M. Trowbridge (Globe; Woolpack)
is an ugly factory-town, with a good Perp. church (end of the 15th cent.),
containing the tomb of the poet Crabbe, who was rector of Trowbridge for
19 years (1813-32). — 63'/2 M. Bradford - on - Avon (Swan, R. or D. from
2s. 6d.), with the highly interesting little Saxon "Church of St. Lawrence
(8th cent.; comp. p. xxxvii), which now consists of nave, chancel, and N.
porch (adm. 6d.). The chancel opens from the nave by an arched door
only 2 ft. 4 in. wide. The Bridge and Kingston House (Jacobean; no adm.)
are also noteworthy. A motor-omnibus plies between Bradford and Bath.
— 65V2 M. Limpley Stoke. — 70 M. Bath, see p. 113.
From Reading to Wevmoutii, 118'/2 M., G. W. R. in 3-5 hrs. (fares
19s. 4d., 12s., 9s. 8d.). To (45 M.) Patney S Chirton, see above. 5572 M.
Edington & Bratlon. Edington has a fine 14th cent, church. — 59'/2 M.
Westbury (Lopes' Arms) is the junction for Chippenham (p. 113) and for
the Bath and Salisbury line (p. 118). 65'/2 M. Frome (p. 127). — 70'/2 M.
Witham, junction for Wells (p. 128). — From (76 M.) Bruton a visit may
be paid by carriage to Alfred's Tower (view) and the grounds at Slourlon
(IOV2 M.), in which are the six sources of the Stour. The grounds are
open on Mon., Wed., Thurs., and Sat., the house at Stourhead on Wed.
in summer only. In front of the gate is the old High Cross of Bristol. —
From (79'/2 M.) Castle Cary a branch-line (rail, motor-car) runs to Charlton
Mackrell via (6 M.) Keinton Mandeville, birthplace of Sir Henry Irving
(1838-1905). 84V2 M. Sparkford. About 1 M. to the S. is the pretty village
of Queen Camel (Queen) and 2 M. to the E. is Cadbury Castle, an entrenched
British camp, 30 acres in area, which contests with Camelford (p. 160)
the honour of being the Arthurian Camelot. — 91'/2 M. Yeovil (p. 105).
104 M. Maiden Newton is the junction for a line (9 M.) to Bridport
(Greyhound, R. 2s. 6d., D. 2s. 6d.) a small seaport and bathing-resort
(5710 inhab.), with a Perp. church. The line goes on to (ll1/* M-) West
Bay (hotel). Omnibuses ply daily from Bridport to Lyme Regis (p. 106)