110 Route 15. READING. From London
1872 M. Slough (Crown, R. from 3s. 6d., D. 4s.; Royal) is the
junction of the line to Eton and (3 M.) Windsor (p. 231).
Windsor may also be reached from London by the L. S. W. railway
(from Waterloo station); fares by either route 3s. 6d., 2s. 3d., Is. 9d.
Motor omnibuses ply between Slough and Windsor ('/« hr.; fare 3d.)
and between Slough and Stoke Poges, Farnham, and Beaconsfield (% hr.;
Is.); see p. 386 and Baedeker's Handbook for London.
A view of Windsor Castle is obtained to the left as we leave
Slough. The scenery of the Thames Valley between Slough and
Goring (see p. 112) is very pleasing. — 21 M. Burnham Beeches. —
2272 M. Taplow (p. 231).
24 M. Maidenhead (p. 231), prettily situated on the Thames, is
the junction of a line to Wycombe and Oxford (see p. 233). From
(31 M.) Twyford a branch diverges to Henley-on-Thames (p. 230).
36 M. Reading (Great Western, at the station; Queen's, R. or
D. 4s., well spoken of; Vastern Temperance, R. 3s., D. from 2s. 6d.;
George, unpretending), the county-town of Berkshire, is au ancient
and flourishing town with (1901) 72,214 inhabitants. The Bene¬
dictine Abbey, founded by Henry I. in 1121, and containing his
grave, was once one of the wealthiest in England; a few ruins now
alone remain. The gateway was restored in 1861. Several parlia¬
ments were held in the great hall of the abbey. University College,
founded in 1892 as a University Extension College, the first of its
kind, and incorporated in 1896, is affiliated to Oxford University.
It occupies a building erected in 1898 in Valpy St., near the sta¬
tion. The college comprehends the five departments of Agriculturg,
Natural Science, Literature, Fine Art, and Music. The churches of
St. Mary (16th cent.), St. Lawrence (15th cent.), and Greyfriars
are interesting. Adjoining the Free Library is a Museum contain¬
ing a collection of Romano-British antiquities from Silchester
The antiquities include a hoard of 253 silver denarii (40 B.C.-211 A.D.),
found in an earthenware pot; objects in bone, glass, gold, bronze, and
other metals; pottery, including some good specimens of Samian ware;
and a fine slab of Purbeck marble.
Archbishop Laud (1573-1645) and Justice Talfourd (1795-1854)
were natives of Reading. Huntley cf Palmers' biscuit manufactory
(nearly 5000 hands) and Sutton and Sons' seed-farms (3000 acres)
are situated at Reading.
Reading may also be reached from London by the L. & S. W. Railway
via Ascot (43'/2"M.), or by the circuitous route of the S. E. & C. R. via,
Reigate and Guildford (67 M.; comp. p. 63).
From Reading to Basingstoke, 14l/s M,, railway in '/a hr. (fares 2s. 6d.,
Is. 8d., Is. 3'/2d.). — 6 M. Mortimer (Railway Inn). About 3 M. to the S.W.
(carr. there and back, with stay of 1 hr., ca. 7s.) lies Silchester, with
remains of the Romano-British town of Caer-Segeint, called Calleva by the
Romans and Silceastre by tbe Saxons. The remains (adm. 6d.; interesting
to archseologists) include the town-walls (2760 yds. in circuit), a large
amphitheatre, the foundations of numerous buildings, and some fine pave¬
ments (partly covered up again). Recent discoveries indicate that the
ancient town contained numerous dye-works. Most of the smaller anti¬
quities are preserved at Reading (see above). About 2 M. to the E. or