to Exeter. EXETER. 14. Route. 107
High Street; Globe (PI. f; C, 3), Cathedral Yard E. 4s., D. 2s. 6d.; Bude
(PI. g; D, 3), unpretending, opposite the New London Hotel, R. 3s., D.3s. —
Rail. Rfmt. Rooms.
Tramways from Eastgate, at the upper end of High St., to St. David's
Station and to the suburbs. — Cabs. Drive within the town Is.; to Heavitree
Is. 6d. ; to Mt. Radford Is. 6d.; beyond the municipal boundaries Is. per mile.
Post Office (PI. D, 3), High St. — Theatre (PI. D, 2), Longbrook St.
Exeter, the capital of Devonshire and one of the chief places in
the W. of England, an ancient town with (1901) 46,940 inhab., is
pleasantly situated on the left bank of the Exe and forms a good
starting-point for exploring the beautiful scenery of S. Devonshire.
The origin of Exeter is very ancient. The Romans Latinized the
name of the British town of Caerwisc into Isca, while the modern form
is derived from the Anglo-Saxon Exanceaster. It is the one English city
in which it is certain that human habitation has never ceased from the
Roman period to the present day; and it is the one city which did not
fall into the hands of the Anglo-Saxons before their conversion to Chris¬
tianity. It was repeatedly besieged during the various civil contests that
have raged in England, and was the scene of many interesting historical
events. William of Orange remained several days at Exeter after his
landing at Torbay, and was joined here by many men of rank. The
episcopal see has existed here since 1050, when it was transferred from
Crediton. Comp. Freeman's 'Exeter' ('Historic Towns Series'; 1887).
Exeter carries on a considerable foreign trade, and vessels of 150 tons
can ascend to the town by means of a ship-canal begun in 1564. The
chief industrial products are gloves and agricultural machinery, and the
city is the principal market for 'Honiton lace' (see p. 106).
From the station Queen St. leads to the S. towards High St.
and the centre of the city. In it, to the left, is the Albert Mem¬
orial Museum (PL C, 3; daily, 9 till dusk) containing Devonshire
antiquities, a cabinet of natural history, a library, and a school of art.
Adjoining is a Technical College (1899).
On the left, close to the station, is the W. entrance to the Northernhay
(PI. C, D, 2), a public park shaded with fine elms (views), occupying part
of the hill above the old moat of Rougemont Castle, which was founded
by William the Conqueror and is mentioned in 'Richard III.', IV. 2. The
park contains a national memorial to Sir John Bucknill, who raised the first
company of rifle volunteers in 1859; statues of Lord Iddesleigh (1818-86), by
Boehm, Sir T. Dyke Acland (1787-1871), and John Dinhcm, a local philan¬
thropist, both by Stephens. The ruins of the castle are situated in the
grounds of Rougemont Lodge, to which visitors are admitted on Thurs.
(entr. in Cattle St., off High St.).
On reaching the High St. we turn to the right, passing the quaint
Guildhall (PL C, 3 ; 15-16th cent.), containing some interesting por¬
traits. The upper part of the elaborate facade (1593; restored 1900)
projects over the footway. A little farther on, Broadgate (on the left)
leads us into the Cathedral "Yard, in full view of the magnificent
W. front of the cathedral. — The "Cathedral (PLC, D, 3; services
at 10.30 and 3; adm. to choir 6d.), though comparatively small and
unimposing, is in virtue of its details one of the most admirable
examples in England of the Geometrical Decorated style. The
oldest parts of the present building are the massive transeptal
towers, dating from the early part of the 12th cent, and an al¬
most unique feature in English churches (see p. 106). The rest of
the cathedral was built (or altered from Norman to Dec.) between