106 Route 14. LYME REGIS. From London
situated in a pretty and diversified district, with important kid-
glove industry. Fine Perp. church.
Yeovil has two stations, 3/i M. apart. From the Great Western or
Pen Mill station, on the Reading to Weymouth main line, a branch runs
to Dtirston (for Taunton, p. 133).
125 M. Sutton Bingham; 1317>M. Crewkerne (George, R. from
3s. 6d., D. 2s. 6d.-5s.), with a Perp. church (15th cent.) with a fine W.
front. Omnibus to Beaminster and Bridport, see p. 112. — Just short
of (139'/.2 M.) Chard Junction, whence a branch runs to (3 M.) Chard
(George, R. 4s., D. 2s. 6d.-3s. 6d.), we see to the left *Ford Abbey,
a Cistercian foundation of the 12th cent, now a private mansion.
From Chard a branch of the G. W. R. runs via Ilminster (George),
wilh a Perp. church containing brasses to the founders of Wadham College
at Oxford, to (lo M.) Taunton (see p. 133).
14472 M. Axminster (George; Golden Lion; Sampson's Tem¬
perance), formerly noted for its carpets.
Branch-line (5 M. in 23 min.) to Lyme Regis (Alexandra, R. from
2s. 6d , D. 5s.; Cups; Lion), a picturesquely-situated seaport and bathing-
place (2095 inhab.), where the Duke of Monmouth landed in 1685. Omnibus
to Bridport, see p. 111. — About l'/2 M. to the E. is the pretty village of
Charmouth (Coach & Horses, R. 2s , D. 3s. 6d.; George), visited for sea¬
bathing (coach daily in H/i hr. from Axminster station). Whitchurch
Canonicorum, 3 M. to the N.E., has an interesting church (Norman to
Perp.). — The "Dowlands Landslip (Gd.) lies 3 M. to the W. of Lyme.
148 M. Seaton Junction, where carriages are changed for Colyton
(Globe) and the small watering-place of (4M.) Seaton (Beach; Clar¬
ence, R. 4s., D. 3s. 6d., pens, in winter 272 guineas per week;
Pole Arms, R. or D. 3s. 6d.), with golf-links. — Beer, l'/^M. from
Seaton, is another quaint seaside resort. — 155 M. Honiton (Dol¬
phin, R. from 4s., D. 3s.; Angel), with an old church. 'Honiton'
lace, first introduced by Dutch refugees, is now chiefly made at the
neighbouring villages. — 159 M. Sidmouth Junction.
Branch-line to Exmouth (Sidmouth), 16 M., in 40-50 min. (fares Is.
5d., lid., S'/sd.). — 3 M. Ottery St. Mary (King's Arms; London, well spoken
of), birthplace of S. T. Coleridge (1772-1834), has a fine church (a reduced
copy of Exeter Cathedral, with the only other pair of transeptal towers in
England; see p. 107). Ottery is the 'Clavering' and Exeter the 'Chatteris'
of Thackeray's 'Pendennis'. — From (5 M.) Tipton St. John's a branch runs
to (8V2 M.) Sidmouth (Victoria, new, R. 4s. 6d., D. 5s.; Knowle; Fortfield;
Bedford, R. 3-8s., D. 4s. 6d.; York), a favourite watering place, with good
brine baths, golf-links, and a fine old Gothic church. — Beyond Tipton
our line goes on via, (91/4 M.) East Budleigh, near Hayes Barton, the mansion
in which Sir W. Raleigh (1552-1618) was born, to (II1/2 M.) Budleigh Salterton
(Rolle Arms), a charming little watering-place. — 16 M. Exmouth (p. 109).
163 M. Whimple. — 167 M. Broad Clyst. — I681/2 M. Pinhoe.
17172 M.Exeter. — Railway Stations. 1. Queen Street Station (PI. C,2),
near the centre of the town, for the London & South Western Railway;
2. St. David's Station (PI. A, 1), to the N.W., near the river, for the Great
Western Railway, and used also by the W. going trains of the L. & S. W.
Railway; 3. St. Thomas's Station (PI. B, 5), a second station of the G. W. R.,
on the other side of the Exe. — The hotel-omnibuses meet the trains.
Hotels. 'New London (PI. a; D, 3), High St., R. from 4s. 6d., D. 5s.;
*Rodgemont (PI. b; C, 2), close to the Queen St. Station, R. 4s. 6d., D. 5s.;
Clarence (PI. c ; C, D, 3), quietly situated in the Cathedral Yard, R. 4s. Gd.,
D.5s.; Queen's (PI. d; C,3), Queen St., R. & B.5s.6d.; Half Moon (Pl.e- D,3),