to Exeter. SHERBORNE. 14. Route. 105
purposes. Summer camps, with accommodation for 60,000 or 70,000 men,
extend on both sides of the Avon, and permanent garrisons are stationed
at Bulford and Tidworth (p. 85). The headquarters of the Royal Engineers
were transferred hither in 1905 (comp. p. 23).
Wilton (Pembroke Anns), a small town with 2203 inhab. and im¬
portant carpet-manufactories, 3 M. to the W. of Salisbury, possesses a
handsome modern "Church, in the Lombard style, elaborately embel¬
lished with marble. — Near the town stands Wilton House (shown on
Wed., 10-4; fee Is), the seat of the Earl of Pembroke, famed for its
valuable Greek and Roman sculptures, and its collection of pictures by
Van Dyck, Lucas van Leyden, Mantegna, Rembrandt, Poussin, Reynolds,
and other masters. The vaulted ceiling of the drawing-room is adorned
with paintings of scenes from Sir Philip Sidney's 'Arcadia', which was
written here. The fine grounds are not open to the public. The Italian
Garden contains a pavilion designed by Holbein. — The road to Wilton
passes (IV2 M.) Bemerlon, where George Herbert was rector from 1630 to
his death in 1635.
■Longford Castle (Earl of Radnor) lies on the Avon, 31/2 M. to the S.E.
of Salisbury. It was built in 1591 and afterwards much enlarged. The
Collection of pictures (sometimes shown on personal application) is fine
(Holbein, Portrait of Erasmus), and there is also an exquisite specimen
of metal-work in the shape of a steel chair presented by the town of
Augsburg to Emp. Rudolf II. in 1674.
From Salisbury to Bath see p. 118.
86 M. Wilton, see above; the church-tower is visible to the
left. — 92 M. Dinton (Wyndham Arms), the birthplace of the first
Lord Clarendon (1609-1674). About 2 M. to the S. W. of (96 M.)
Tisbury (Benett Arms) is Wardour Castle, the seat of Lord Arun-
dell, with a fine collection of paintings and antiquities (daily,
11-4). — IOI72 M- Semley, the station for Hindon and Shaftesbury.
Near Hindon, a small town 3 M. to the N., is Fonthill Abbey, where
Beckford, the author of 'Vathek', lived in complete seclusion; the princely
mansion he erected has given place to a less pretentious structure. —
Shaftesbury (Grosvenor Arms), with 2027 inhab., is situated on a hill
2V2 M. to the S. (omn. Is.) and is said to be one of the oldest towns in
England. A nunnery was founded here by King Alfred in 880. In the
neighbourhood is St. Giles's, the seat of the Earl of Shaftesbury.
From (105 M.) Gillingham (Royal, R. 2s., D. 2s. 6d.), with
large bacon-curing factories, an omnibus plies to Mere, 4 M. from
Stourton (p. 111). Tunnel. —- 112 M. Templecombe Junction (Royal
Hotel ; Rfmt. Rooms), where lines diverge to Bath and Wells (see
p. 118) and to Burnham on the N.W., and to Wimborne (p. 99),
Broadstone (p. 99), and Bournemouth (p. 98) on the S. — 118 M.
Sherborne (*Digby, R. from 4s., D. 5s. ; Antelope, pens. 10s. 6d.),
with 5753 inhab., pleasantly situated on the Yeo, is a hunting-
centre (BlackmoTe Vale). In the 8th cent, it became the seat of a
bishopric, transferred to Old Sarum in 1078.
The old 'Minster is a fine Norman structure, afterwards converted into
the Perp. style and recently restored. The vaulting and the choir are
specially noteworthy. The Grammar School dates from about 1650. Sher¬
borne Castle, part of which was built by Sir Walter Raleigh, is situated
in a beautiful park, open to the public. Near it are the remains of the
old castle (12th cent.).
123 M. Yeovil Junction, for (3 M.) Yeovil (Three Choughs ; Mer¬
maid , Pen Mill, R. or D. 3s., at G. W. R. Station), with 9838 inhab.,