SALISBURY. 14. Route. 103
The modern Pulpit is by Sir G. G. Scott. The 'Stained Glass in the W.
window is from Dijon. — In the N.W. Transept are three monuments
py flaxman and a bust of Richard Jefferies (1848-87), author of the 'Game¬
keeper at Home'.
The Choir (adm. 6d.) is separated from the nave by a modern metal
screen by Skidmore. The vaulting has been coloured in accordance with
t-ii m affor<ied by a few traces of the original decorations. The
stalls are a combination of work of various dates, including perhaps some
of the original work; the pulpit and reredos are modern. On the N. side
of the choir is the fine Perpendicular Chantry of Bishop Audley (1520), and
on the S. the Hungerford Chantry (removed from the N. side of the nave),
a good example of 15th cent, iron-work (1430). — The E. extremity of the
cathedral is occupied by the *Ladt Chapel, with five lancets filled with
modern stained glass. Adjacent, at the E. end of the N. choir-aisle, is
the monument of Sir Ihomas Gorges (d. 1610) and his wife (d. 1635), the
builders of Longford Castle (p. 105). Opposite, at the E. end of the S.
choir-aisle is a monument to the Earl of Hertford (d. 1621) and his wife.
Between this and the Lady Chapel is a slab commemorating St. Osmund
(d. 1099), whose shrine stood in the Lady Chapel. — The N. E. Transept
contains the interesting and curious brass of Bishop Wyville (d. 1375). From
the S.E. Transept, containing the Chantry of Bp. Bridport (d. 1262), a door
leads to the Vestry and Muniment Room.
We enter the beautiful 'Cloisters, with their smooth green sward and
two old cedars, from the S. W. Transept. They are of somewhat later
date than the body of the cathedral and are in excellent preservation.
Over the E. walk is the Library, containing interesting MSS. (9-16th cent.)
and rare books. — On the E. side of the Cloisters is the 'Chapter Hodse,
an octagonal building of the end of the 13th cent. (52 ft. high). It is
adorned with quaint carvings, but those on the 'Doorway by which it
is entered are finer.
Fine view from the battlements of the Tower, 212 ft. above the ground
(entr. from the Great Transept). The W. piers of the tower have settled
a little, and the apex of the spire is 2 ft. out of the perpendicular.
Opposite the W. front of the cathedral is the Deanery (PL A, 4,5),
to the S. of which is the so-called 'King's House' (PL A, 5), an
interesting mansion of the 14-15th-cent, with a projecting porch,
now used as a training-college for school-mistresses. To the N. of
the Deanery is another dwelling of the 15th cent, called 'The Ward¬
robe'. — A gate at the S. E. angle of the cathedral close leads into
the lovely grounds of the *Bishop"s Palace (PL B, 5), an irregular
building of various dates.
Among the most interesting secularbuildings is the Halle of John
Halle (PI. C, 3), with a fine timber front, in the Canal, built as a
dwelling by a rich wool-merchant in 1470 , restored in 1834, and
now used as a shop. Not far off is the late-Gothic Poultry Cross
(PL B, 3), also restored, near which is St. Thomas's Church, with
ancient frescoes and a wooden ceiling. — In the market-place (PL
C, 2, 3) are statues of Lord Herbert of Lea (Sidney Herbert; 1810-61),
M. P. for S. Wilts, and of Prof. Fawcetl (1833-84), a native of
Salisbury. — In St. John's St., below the White Hart, is the old
King's Arms, the secret rendezvous of the Royalists after the battle
of Worcester. In St. Anne's St. is the Salisbury and South Wilts
Museum (PL D, 4; open free daily, Mon. 8-9, other days except
Sat., 2-5), containing geological, ornithological, and antiquarian
collections. Attached to it is the Blackmore Museum, with a col-