to Southampton. WINCHESTER. 11. Route. 81
At the foot of High St. are the Abbey Grounds, a public garden
opened in 1891, on the site of St. Mary's Abbey, founded by Eals-
with, queen of Alfred the Great. Adjoining is the Guildhall, a
modern building by Sir G. G. Scott, containing a small museum
(open daily, 10-1 and 2-4 or 5). In front a lofty bronze Statue of
King Alfred, by Hamo Thorneycroft (1901). — At the top of the
High St. is the West Gate, a fortified gateway of the 13th century.
— Adjacent (left) is the County Court, with a fine hall, belonging
to a castle erected here by William the Conqueror , but afterwards
altered and heightened by Henry III. On the wall hangs a curious
relic known as'King Arthur's Round Table', said to date from the 6th
cent, but repainted in the time of Henry VIII. — King Alfred was
buried in Hyde Abbey, Jewry St., part of which is now a barn.
About 1M. to the S.W. of the town lies the "Hospital of St. Cross (adm.
by ticket at the lodge, 6d., 3 pers. Is., larger party Is. 6d.), which may he
reached either through Southgate Street, or by a path along the bank of
the Itchen. This peculiar institution was founded in 1136 by Bishop Henri
de Blois for the maintenance of 13 poor men, unable to work, and for
the partial support of 100 others. A remnant of the ancient hospitality
is still maintained, any one who applies at the porter's lodge being entitled
to a horn of ale and a slice of bread, unless the daily quantum has al¬
ready been distributed. The "Church, completed before the year 1200,
and lately restored, is a beautiful example of the transition from tbe
Norman to the E.E. style of architecture. Among the most interesting
features are the exquisitely delicate late-Norman mouldings, a curious
triple arch at the S. transept (external), and the modern polychrome
painting (by Butterfield) in the supposed original style. The quadrangle
and its surroundings also form a most delightful picture. Visitors are
conducted to the Refectory, with its fine open roof, and to the Kitchen.
The former contains an ancient triptych, attributed to Mabuse.
On the. opposite bank of the Itchen, not far from the hospital, is 'St.
Catherine's Hill, crowned by a group of trees and a labyrinth cut in the
turf, and affording an admirable view of the ancient town.
From St. Cross we may continue our walk along the Itchen to (3 M.)
the pretty village of Twyford (see below). — Admirers of the 'Christian
Year' may combine in one excursion from Winchester a visit to (5 M.)
Hursley and (4'/2 M.) Otterbourne, livings held by the Rev. John Keble
(d. 1866), who is buried in the churchyard of the former. The church
was rebuilt by him with the profits of the 'Christian Year'. Hursley
House occupies the site of the house of Richard Cromwell, many of whose
family are buried in the church.
Beyond Winchester the Railway continues to descend the
valley of the Itchen. — In the village of Twyford, near (70 M.)
Shawford, Franklin wrote part of his autobiography. — 73 M.
Eastleigh and Bishopstoke (Junction Hotel), the junction of lines to
Portsmouth on the left and Salisbury on the right. Bishopstoke,
pleasantly situated on the Itchen, is a thriving town with the London
& South Western Railway Carriage Works.
From Eastleigh to Stokes Bay (Gosport), 14 M., railway in '/2-3A hr.
(fares 3s., Is. 10d., Is. 5'/2d.). This is part of the through-route to Ryde
via Stokes Bay (comp. p. 67). — Beyond (6 M.) Bolley the line crosses the
small river Hamble. About 6 M. to the E. lies Bishop's Waltham (branch
line), with the ruined castle of the Bishops of Winchester. — Two tunnels.
— 11 M. Fareham (p. 60), on the line from Portsmouth to Southampton,
is the junction for (2>/2 M.) Gosport (p. 59). — From (12V2 M.) Fori Brock-
Baedkker's Great Britain. 6th Edit. 6