80 Route 11. WINCHESTER. From London
(1189-1204). To the E. it terminates in the Lady Chapel, flanked by two
smaller ones. The Lady Chapel, one bay of which is E.E. and the other
Perp. (15th cent.), is adorned with mural paintings of about 1500, re¬
presenting the Miracles of the Virgin. The chapel has lately been restored,
and the three great windows have been filled with stained glass by C. E.
Kempe. Chantrey's statue of Bishop North (d. 1820), formerly in the Lady
Chapel, has been removed to the retro-choir. The chapel to the S. was
fitted up as a chantry by Bishop Langton (d. 1501), who is buried here, and
that to the N., the Chapel of the Guardian Angels (12th cent.), contains the
monuments of two bishops and of Weston, Earl of Portland (d. 1634), Lord
High Treasurer of Charles I.
In the N. transept is the entrance to the Crypt, the W. part of which
shows Walkelin's original plan and is a fine specimen of early-Norman
substructure. The E. part is the work of Bishop Lucy (see p. 80) and the
easternmost bay was added by Priors Silkstede and Hunton.
The Slype, a passage constructed in 1636 as a substitute for a
public right of way through the cathedral, leads from the S.W. corner
of the W. facade (note the curious inscriptions on the latter) to the
Close to the S. of the church. This, with its smooth turf and abund¬
ant foliage, forms a striking contrast to the grey and venerable
cathedral. The passage between the Norman arches of the old
chapter-house and the S. Transept leads to the Library, which con¬
tains a magnificent illuminated copy of the Vulgate (12th cent.) and
many valuable MSS. and relics. The Deanery, which contains the
old Prior's Hall, is approached by three pointed arches (13th cent.).
We quit the Close by a gate in the S. E. corner, pass through
King's Gate, above which is St. Swithin's Church, and turn to the
left into College Street, which soon brings us to the College, the
second lion of Winchester. (Apply at the porter's lodge at the sec¬
ond gateway to the right; fee.) *Winchester School, or the College
of St. Mary Winton, which is connected with New College, Oxford,
was also built by William of Wykeham in 1373-96, and, though
extensive new buildings have become necessary, the older parts
remain nearly unaltered. It has ranked for centuries among the lead¬
ing public schools of England, and is attended by 400 boys.
The parts shown to visitors include two quadrangles, surrounded by
the picturesque old School Buildings; the entrance to the Kitchen, with a
singular picture of a 'Trusty Servant'; the Chapel; the Cloisters, with the
names of Bishop Ken (1646) and other eminent Wykhami3ts cut in the
stone; the Dining Hall; and the old lavatory, known by tbe boys as
'MoaV, while they call the shoe-blacking place 'Edom' (Ps. lx. 8). — The new
buildings, also in the form of a quadrangle, lie to the W. of the old. —
At the back are the 'Cricket Fields, prettily situated on the river, and
affording a good view of the College and of St. Catharine's Hill or 'Hills'.
Farther along College Street, on the left side and beyond the
river, are the ruins of Wolvesey Palace, a Norman structure built
by Bishop Henri de Blois in 1138. There are interesting remains
of the Saxon keep. Queen Mary resided here in 1554 (p. 79). —
From Wolvesey Palace the visitor may skirt the river to Soke Bridge,
at the foot of High St.
If time allow, he should cross the bridge and ascend to P-ft hr.) the top
of St. Giles's Hill, which affords an admirable "View of the city. — St. John's
Church, in St. John St., at the foot, of St. Giles's Hill, has aisles considerably
wider than the nave. The style is partly Norman, and partly E.E.