BASINGSTOKE. 11. Route. 77
seeing. The most commanding point of view is the eminence called
Caesar's Camp, on which stands the equestrian statue of the Duke of Wel¬
lington, formerly on the top of the Green Park Arch in London.
Farnham (Bush, well spoken of; Lion <b Lamb) is a pleasant little
town with 6124 inhab., situated in the midst of a hop-district second in
importance to Kent alone. The Castle, now the palace of the Bishop of
Winchester, was originally built in the 12th cent., but dates in its present
form mainly from 1662-84; the Keep (adm. on application) is probably of
the 13th century. The Park is open to the public. William Cobbeit (d. 1835)
was born at Farnham in the 'Jolly Farmers', Bridge Square. — About
l'/2 M. to the E. of Farnham is Moor Park, where Swift acted as secretary
to Sir William Temple (d. 1689) and made the acquaintance of 'Stella'.
Waverley Abbey, see p. 67.
From Alton (Swan, R. 3s. 6d., D. 3s.) branch-lines run to the N. to
(W/a M.) Basingstoke (see below) and to the S. to Tisted, West Meon, and
Fareham (p. 60). About 2!/2 M. to the E. of Tisted lies Selborne (Queen's
Arms), the home of Gilbert White (d. 1793), who has left a full and loving
description of the district in his 'Natural History of Selborne'. White's
house still stands in the main street of the village.
Near Alresford is Tichborne House, a name well known from the
notorious law-suit (1872-74), which is said to have saddled the estate with
a debt of 90,0001. About 41/2 M. to the N.W. is The Grange, the seat of
Lord Ashburton, with a valuable gallery of paintings (Rembrandt, Rubens,
Ruysdael, Hobbema, Jan Steen, A. van Ostade, Cuyp, Teniers, etc.; also
Correggio, Luini, Diirer, and Murillo). The park is open to the public,
but the house is shewn by special permission only.
The train now passes between the Chobham Ridges on the right
and the Fox Hills on the left, and crosses the Guildford and Read¬
ing railway (p. 66). — 33 M. Farnborough (Queen's, at the North
Camp), one of the stations for Aldershot Camp, which begins a
little to the S. of it. To the right lies Farnborough Hill, the pre¬
sent home of the Empress Eugenie, who has built a chapel (to the
left of the railway) for the remains of her husband and son. — Near
(3672 M.) Fleet the line skirts a small lake; on the right (3/4 M.)
is Elvetham Park (Lord Calthorpe), the modern successor of a house
in which Queen Elizabeth was entertained in 1591 by the Earl of
Hertford. — 39 M. Winchfield, with a fine church partly Norman,
partly Gothic. About 2 M. to the S.W. (omn.) is Odiham (George),
with an old castle where King David of Scotland was imprisoned
after his capture at Neville's Cross (p. 455). To the N. lies Eversley,
the home of Charles Kingsley (d. 1875) for 33 years.
The line now passes through (41 M.) Hook and the village of
Old Basing, where a battle took place between the Saxons and
Danes in 871. It contains the scanty ruins of Basing House, buiJt
by the first Marquis of Winchester in the reign of Edward VL,
which resisted the Parliamentary troops for four years and was finally
stormed by Cromwell himself (1645). — 48 M. Basingstoke (Red
Lion; Rail. Rfmt. Rooms), with 9793 inhab., is the junction of
lines to Salisbury (R. 14) and Reading (Silchester; Strathfleldsaye;
p. 110) and to Alton (see above). Close to the station, on the right,
is the ruined Chapel of the Holy Ghost (16th cent.), in an ancient
cemetery. The Parish Church is a Perp. building, restored.
The route to Winchester now traverses the chalk downs.