70 Route 10. SHANKLIN. Isle of
S. to (4 M. from St. John's Road) Brading (Bugle; Red Lion, R. 2s.,
D. 3s.), a small and ancient town at the foot of Brading Down. The
ancient stocks and bull-baiting ring are still preserved here. The
Church contains the burial-chapel of the Oglanders, a family which
came over to England with William the Conqueror; their ancestral
seat of Nunwell lies in a fine park in the neighbourhood. A brazen
tablet in the church commemorates the Rev. Legh Richmond (p. 74).
At Morton Farm, V2 M. from Brading station, are the remains of a
large "Roman Villa, with tesselated floors (adm. Is., Mon. 6d.). A series
of Roman coins (A.D. 222-350), numerous tiles, window-glass, and a
human skeleton have been found among the ruins. — About 1 M. to the
S.E. of Brading, at the foot of Bembridge Down (355 ft.), is the church
of Yaverland, with a Norman door and chancel - arch. Towards the sea
Bembridge Down ends in Culver Cliffs.
Branch-line from Brading to St. Helen's and (3 M.) Bembridge, at the
mouth of Brading Harbour or estuary of the Yar. Bembridge (Royal Spit-
head Hotel, R. 4s. 6d.; Bembridge, R. from 3s. 6d., D. from 3s.) is frequented
for sea-bathing and has direct steamboat communication with Portsmouth
(see p. 67). Adjoining it are excellent golf-links.
6 M. Sandown (*Ocean, R. from 6s. 6d., D. 6s.; Sandown, R.5s.,
D. 5s.; Pier, R. from 4s., D. 4s. 6d.; York, well spoken of, R. 3s. 6d.,
D. 2s. 6d.), the junction for Newchurch, Horringford, Merstone
(p.73), and Newport (^.73), a thriving town and frequented bathing-
place with 3600 inhab., a pier (1000 ft. in length) with a concert-
pavilion, an esplanade, and golf-links.
8*/4 M. Shanklin. — 'Hollier's, R. from 4s. 6d., D. 5s.; Royal Spa,
on the Esplanade, R. from 5s., D. 5s.; Daish's, in the town, R. from 5s.,
D. 5s.; Marine Hotel, near the statioD, R. from 3s., D. from 3s. 6d.;
Madeira, R. from 4s., D. 3s. 6d.; Crab, at Shanklin Chine (p. 71). —
Coaches ply from Shanklin to Blackgang, Carisbrooke, and Newport,
to Cowes and Osborne, and to Freshwater and Alum Bay. — Cab from
the station to the village or cliffs, for 1-2 pers., with one horse Is., with
two horses Is. 6d., to the shore 2s. 6d. or 3x. 6d.; each addit. pers. 6d. or 9d.
Shanklin (300 ft.), situated in a pleasant valley, is now an ex¬
tensive watering-place with 3533 inhab., a good beach, and a pier
(2d.). In 1861 its population was only 355. The picturesque old
Rectory is completely overgrown with unusually fine myrtles. A lift
(Id.) connects cliff and beach. Shanklin Chine, see p. 71.
Beyond Shanklin the railway runs inland to (IO72 M.) Wroxall
(Hotel, R. or D. 2s. 6d.), near which is the noble *Park of Appuldur-
combe, containing the magnificent mansion of that name, now used
as a school. A granite obelisk, 70 ft. high., on the highest point in the
park, commemorates Sir Robert Worsley, author of a history of the Isle
of Wight and a former owner of this estate (splendid *View). — The
line once more descends to the sea at (12 M.) Ventnor (p. 71).
From Shanklin to Ventnor on foot (preferable to the rail¬
way). From Shanklin station we proceed in an easterly direction
for about 5 min.; then turn to the right through the village, and,
about 100 paces beyond Daish's Hotel, descend to the left. A little
farther on a footpath descends, to the right, to the (20 min.)