to Portsmouth. GOSPORT. 7. Route. 59
Guildhall, on the opposite side of the street, now contains the
Museum, comprizing natural history collections, prints and draw¬
ings of local interest, a few paintings, and miscellaneous curiosities.
Philanthropists will find it interesting to visit the Soldiers' and Sai¬
lors' Institute, founded by Miss Robinson, at the foot of the street
(PL C, 4). The massive stone building facing the foot of High St.
was once the governor's residence. Adjoining on the W. is the en¬
trance to Victoria Pier (Id.). Broad St. leads hence to the N.W. to
Portsmouth Point (ferry to Gosport, p. 57), passing an inn claiming
to be the 'Blue Posts' of Capt. Marryat's 'Peter Simple'. The house
of John Pounds, the cobbler who founded the ragged-school system
(1819), is in Mary Street (PL C, 4). — Turning to the E. (left) at
the foot of High St., we enter the Grand Parade, beyond which
we skirt Governor's Green and traverse Pembroke Gardens to the
esplanade at Southsea. On the sea-wall above the Parade is the
Platform, a favourite promenade. Charles II. was married on May
22ud, 1662, to Catharine of Braganza in the Garrison Chapel, which
belonged to a religious institution founded in the time of Henry III.
The forts on the hills to the N. of Portsmouth should be visited
for the sake of the views they afford. A boat should also be hired
for an excursion in the harbour, where a visit may be paid to the
old 'Victory' (9.30-3.30), Nelson's flagship at the battle of Trafalgar,
and to the 'St. Vincent' training ship (9.30-3.30, Sat. 9.30-12).
Southsea (hotels, see p. 57; tramway, see p. 57), with an es¬
planade extending between the attractive Southsea Common and
the sea, two promenade piers, a model yacht lake (E. Southsea),
and other attractions, is now a fashionable watering-place and
decidedly the pleasantest of the joint towns for a prolonged stay.
On the Esplanade are a number of naval memorials, including the
anchor of the 'Victory' (see above) and a column commemorating
the crew of the 'Chesapeake'. Southsea Castle (PL E, 6), now
converted into a modern fort, was built by Henry VIII. Off South¬
sea is a red buoy marking the spot where the 'Royal George' sank
in 1782, with 'twice four hundred men'.
Gosport (India Arms, R. 3s. Gd., Star, unpretending; railway-station,
see p. 82), with about 10,000 inhabitants, lies opposite Portsmouth, on the
other side of the harbour (ferry, see p. 57). It contains the provision-
magazines and bakehouses (Royal Clarence Victualling Yard; open to visitors
under the same conditions as the Dockyard), which were formerly a part
of Portsmouth Dockyard. The steam corn-mill alone cost more than
75,000?. The Ship-Biscuit Machinery, by which 2000 cwt. of biscuit can be
baked in 1 hr., is extremely interesting. The government establishments
here also include a clothes-making department, a brewery, etc., all on a
most extensive scale. — A little to the S.E. of Gosport is Haslar Hospital,
a spacious building, with accommodation for 2030 sick or wounded sailors
(museum, daily 1-4). At the extremity of Haslar Point is the Blockhouse Fort,
commanding the narrow entrance to Po rtsmouth Harbour. — To the W. of the
Hospital is the small watering-place of Anglesey (Anglesey Hotel), forming an
outlying suburb of Gosport (omn. every J/2 hr.). — Stokes Bay, see pp. 67, 82.
From Portsmouth to Southampton, railway (243/4 M.) in 1 hr. (fares
4s., 2s. 8d., 2s. Id.), or steamboat (preferable in fine weather) in l'/2 hr.