Ryks Muséum. AMSTERDAM. 40. Route. 297
. To the right of the Night Watch : *72'4. Karel du Jardin, Five
directors of the House of Correction sitting and standing at a table,
and a servant, 1669. The connoisseur will be surprised to flnd this
fine corporation-picture painted by the well-known painter of
*467. Bartholomew van der Helst, 'De Schuttersmaaltijd', or
Banquet of the Arquebusiers ('schutters') of Amsterdam, who on
18th June, 1648, are celebrating the conclusion of the Peaee of
Westphalia in the St. Jorisdoele, or shooting-gallery of St. George.
The twenty-flve 'schutters', life-size portraits, are sitting or standing
around a richly-furnished table in brisk and joyous mood. In the right
corner is Captain Wits, in black velvet with a blue sash, holding a
silver drinking-cup (the original now in the Dutch Muséum, p. 291) in one
hand, and presenting the other to Lieutenant van Waveren, who wears
a handsome pearl-grey doublet, richly brocaded with gold. In the centre
of the picture is the ensign Jacob Banning, while to the left a number
of other arquebusiers are seen drinking and chatting. The heads are
marvellously life-like, and the drawing bold and minutely correct. The
détails are perhaps more to be admired than the aggregate effect, which
is somewhat marred by the uniformly distributed light and the want of
contrast. The hands are strikingly true to nature and characteristic of
their owners, and it has been not inaptly remarked that if they were ail
thrown together in a heap there would be no difflculty in restoring them
to the figures to which they respectively belong. Comp. p. lvii.
364. G. Flinck, Company of Capt. Albert Bas (1645); 1279. J.
van Sandrart, Company of Capt. van Swieten, acting as escort to
Queen Maria de' Medici (1638). — *477. B. van der Helst, Cor¬
poration-pièce of thirty-two figures, the oldest known work of the
artist (1639) ; in point of size and careful colouring' it surpasses
the Schuttersmaaltijd (opposite).
To the left of the Night Watch : *444. F. Hals (completed by
Pieter Codde), Capt. Reynier Reaef s Company of Arquebusiers (the
'Lean Company'), an admirable and characteristic work, full of life
and vigour, painted in 1637.
A desk near the entrance contains the so-called 'Golden Book', con¬
taining the record of the openîng of the Muséum and intended to receive
the signatures of exalted visitors.
From the Rembrandt Room we proceed to the left through the
Carlovingian Room (No. 236), an imitation of the building said
to hâve been raised by Charlemagne over the W. chapel of the church
of St. Servatius at Maastricht (p. 204), and then enter the —
International Room (No. 235), which contains pictures paint¬
ed by other than Dutch masters. To the .right (S. wall), Flemish
School: 240. Dav. de Coninck, Bear-hunt; 309. A. van Dyck, Ni¬
colas van der Borcht, an Antwerp merchant; G. de Crayer, 244.
Adoration of the Shepherds, 245. Descent from the Cross ; 1630.
J. Wildens, View of Antwerp from the landward side (1635; an in¬
teresting work); 741. Jordaens, Faun; 307. \Van Dyck, Prince
William II. of Orange and his wife Mary Stuart (1641), daughter
of King Charles I. ; 239. D. de Coninck, Stag-hunt; 742. Jor¬
daens, The tribute-money (Matt. xvn. 27); 1404. D. Teniers the