292 Route 40. AMSTERDAM. Ryks Muséum.
Leeuwarden (latter half of the 17th cent.) ; leather hangings, can-
delabra, etc., of the early 18th century. Glass-case with clothes
worn by Prince Ernest Casimir, Henry Casimir, William Frederick
of Nassau, and William III. of England. Various other historical
curiosities. — Cabinet 152a (adjoining). Chinese Boudoir from the
Stadtholder's palace at Leeuwarden (latter half of the 17th cent.).
Room 151. Ceiling (apotheosis of a prince) of the end of the
17th century. Gilt-leather hangings and chimney-piece of the 18th
century. Thrones of various stadtholders.
Room 146. Oriental weapons. Cases with antique bronzes.
Room 147 is in the Gothic style of the 15th century. Panelling,
wall-presses, and chimney-piece from Utrecht. By the wall, on the
right, are ten bronze figures belonging to the city of Amsterdam.
Fine Gothic cupboards ; antique copper dishes, candelabra, etc.
Room 148. Chimney-piece in the Renaissance style of the close
of the 16th cent. ; the caryatides are copied from figures at Zalt-
bommel, dating from the beginning of the 18th century. The
glass-case in the centre contains good wood-carvings of the 15-
Room 149. Renaissance panelling and chimney-piece (middle
of the 16th cent.). The central glass-case contains ivory carvings.
On the walls and in the recesses are works of art in porcelain,
wax, etc., including large Delft plaques in Wouverman's style
(c. 1660). — We now return through Rooms 148, 147, and 146 to
the hall and the E. entrance (p. 286).
The Western Main Entrance also gives admission in the flrst
place to a Hall, embellished with statues of Peaee , Wealth, and
Industrial Art. The staircase immediately in front of us descends
to the —
West Court, which contains the Collection of Casts, from
Dutch works of art.
In the centre: S. portai of the church of St. Servatius at Maastricht
(6th cent. ?) ; tomb of Count Engelbert of Nassau and his wife Limburg
of Baden (16th cent.); choir-stalls from St. Martin's church at Bolswaard
(Gothic; 15th cent.) and the church at Dordrecht (Renaissance; 16thcent.);
choir-screen from the Westerkerk at Enkhuizen (Renaissance: 16thcent.);
tomb of Joh. deBorgniwal from the great church at Breda (1536); above,
colossal organ from the Lutheran church at Amsterdam, with wood-carv¬
ings and paintings by Th. Tidemand. Farther on, to the right, the so-
called Holy Sepulchre from the cathedral at Utrecht (Gothic; 15th cent.).
By the N. wall : Sedilia from the upper church at Kampen (13th cent.).
Organs from the church at Scheemda (16th cent.) and the church of St. Ni¬
cholas at Utrecht (end of the 15th cent.). Tombstones of Siegfried III.
ofEppstein, archbishop of Mayence, and William II. of Holland (13th
cent.). By^ the S. wall are some compartments of the Renaissance ceiling
of the château of Jever ; adjacent, part of the front gable of the town-
hall at the Hague (16th cent.). Then, an interesting collection of acroteria,
including some good works by Hendrick de Keyser (17th cent.), and others.
A staircase ascends from the S. E. corner of the court to two
rooms (Nos. 188 and 186 on the Plan) occupied by the Anti-
quarian Society (Oudheidkundig Genootschap). The fine old furni-