288 Route 40. AMSTERDAM. Ryks Muséum.
— In the left row : 663. 'Eurydice', 32-gun frigate, beginning of the 19th
cent.; Cruiser of 1774; 1257. 'Chatham', man-of-war; 1235. Turret-ram
'Buftalo'; 1239. 'Tiger', monitor; 498. Ship of 1756 (40 guns). — In the
right row : 652. 'Mercury', man-of-war, 58 guns (1747) ; 1259. 'Eléphant',
merchant-ship of the middle of last cent. ; 950. Naval cutter (18 guns) ;
665. 'Prins Frederik der Nederlanden', 44 gun frigate. — In the corner to
the right of the entrance: 504. Ship of 1794 (74 guns; under glass); model
of a ship of the 17th cent., dug up in North Brabant in 1822. — In the
corner to the left of the entrance: 500. 'Vryheid', man-of-war of 1782.
By the wall, to the W. of the entrance: 503. Frigate belonging to
the Dutch East India Company; 1140, 1141. Barbette ships; 1150-1154.
Armour-plating; 1156. Torpedo-boat; 655. Frigate of 1779; 511. Model of
the first steam ferry-boat used on the Moordyk.
lst Cabinet: Light-houses ; signais; steam - machinery ; beacons. Ad¬
joining, in the large hall: ships' hulls and prows.
2nd Cabinet: Oars, rudders, compassés, models of small boats, anchors,
rigging. Lifeboat in the centre. Adjoining, in the large hall: light-ships,
3rd Cabinet: Logs, chronometers, ship-telegraphs ; signal-gear; pumps,
We now pass a number of small ships' models in the large hall. In
the centre of the E. end-wall is the stem of the British flag-ship 'The
Royal Charles', captured by the Dutch in 1667 in their expédition to
Chatham, and broken up in 1673. — 679. Galley built in Holland for
Peter the Great; 669. Swedish gun-boat; 673, 672. Dutch gunboats, etc.
The centre of the W. wall of the large hall is occupied by a model
of the monument erected in Batavia to the Dutch who fell in Aeheen (Su¬
matra) in 18(3-80, with a statue of Bart van Hove. In front is a bust
of Prince Henry of the Netherlands, flanked on the right with captured
Indian guns, and on the left with guns which belonged to the Dutch
East India Co. in the 17th and 18th centuries. Above are Swedish flags,
captured in 1658 by Admirai Wassenaar; at the corners Spanish ship-lan-
terns ; below are four Dutch flags, one of which was presented by King
William to the 'Médusa', which, entirely unsupported, forced the straits
of Simonosaki in Japan on July llth, 1863. The remaining three flags
belonged to other vessels which took part in the opening up of the straits.
Portraits of the period of the Dutch East India Co. ; two horses by J. de
Gheyn. Glass-case containing a costly gun presented to the Dutch by a
Javanese prince. Several small field-pieces of the 17th century.
A staircase opposite the entrance leads from the S.W. corner
of the glass-roofed court to the Ecclesiastical Department (Kerke-
lyke Bouwkunst), which illustrâtes the development of ecclesiastical
architecture in the Netherlands, from the Carlovingian period, through
the Romanesque, early-Gothic, and late-Gothic periods, to the
Room 176. Carlovingian Period (8-i0th cent). The architectural features
are in the style of a chapel, said to hâve been built by Charlemagne, on
the W. side of the church of St. Servatius at Maastricht. The pavement
is a copy of ancient fragments in tbe minster at Aix-la-Chapelle. The
wall-paintings, pillars, vaults, stained-glass, and altar are reproductions
of old works. To the right, a sculptured tympanum from the abbey of
Egmond, destroyed in 1573, representing worshippers before St. Peter;
below is a carpet woven in imitation of the covering found with the relies
of St. Bonifaee (now in the archiépiscopal muséum at Utrecht). Fonts
of the llth and subséquent centuries. Plaster-casts of monuments in Dutch
Room 175. Romanesque Period (llth and early 12th cent.). The archi¬
tectural features and décorations are copied from the abbey-church at
Herzogenrath, St. Servatius at Maastricht, and other churches of the llth
and 12th centuries. The Windows are copies of stained glass of the same
period. Cast of the shrine of St. Servatius at Maastricht (early 12th cent.).