Ryks Muséum. AMSTERDAM. 40. Route. 287
Farther on is the section devoted to Ancient Weapons. Fortress-
guns of the 17-18th cent. ; state and ornamental weapons ; military
and sporting pièces with inlaid and chased ornamentation; pistols,
lances, shields (one of tortoise-shell, with a portrait of Prince Fred¬
erick Henry), swords, cross-bows, fleld-pieces, etc. (some of them
found in the Zuiderzee). Small and richly ornamented bronze cannon
of 1533; handsome gun and gun-carriage, presented by the king of
Saxony to WilliamIII. ; banners of the Dutch provinces in the 17th
cent., with coats-of-arms painted on silk. The walls are adorned
with devices formed of. the Modern Weapons of the Dutch army.
A case contains a collection of objects found in excavations, daggers
ofthe 16th cent., and a zinc plate found in the Straits of Magellan,
with an inscription stating that it had been left there by the Dutch
ship 'Eendragt' in 1616. Above are English and Spanish flags.
To the right, Room from the house built for himself by the
architect Jacob van Campen of Amersfoort, with paintings by him¬
self and the motto 'el tado es nado' ('ail is vanity'). In the middle
is a clumsy model of the Royal Palace (p. 280). — To the left is a
collection of Smith' s Work, including some Stoves ofthe 16th century.
Farther on is a gaily-coloured group, representing a *Chris-
tening in Hindeloopen (Frisia). Frisian dairy; cheese-press of N.
Dutch Carriages and Sledges, including a state-sledge of the be¬
ginning of the 18th cent., a sedan-chair (17th cent.), numerous
sleighs adorned with carving and painting, a hunting-carriage with
paintings by Aart Schouman (18th cent.), and two élégant Dutch
chaises, such as are still used at trotting-races and (in a simpler
form) in the country.
In the corner to the right, behind the carriages, are the Relies
ofthe Expédition of Barents and Heemskerck (comp. p. 279), who
explored Nova Zembla in 1595-96 in an attempt to flnd a N.E.
passage to China round the N. Oape. Barents died on Nova Zembla
in June, 1597, in conséquence of the hardships of the winter spent
there; and the relies were discovered in his winter-house on the
island in 1871 by Capt. Karlsen, a Norwegian navigator.
The Naval Department chiefiy contains models (provided with
explanatory labels), which are specially attractive for those interest-
ed in maritime matters.
To the right are models of covered bridges, dry-docks, etc., above
which is a séries of portraits of présidents of the Dutch East India Com¬
pany. — To the left are crânes, windlasses, life-boats ; model of Van
Speyk's lighthouse at Eginond. Models of 'factories' and other représen¬
tations of the period of the Dutch East India Company.
The space between the staircases in the glass-covered court is occu¬
pied by several large model dry-docks, and plans in relief of the wharfs
at Hellevoetsluis and of the Japanese island of Décima.
The central hall contains a collection of Model Ships, arranged in
three rows. In the middle row : 651. Man-of-war (70 guns), built in Zee¬
land in 1698; 508. 'King of the Netherlands'. ship-of-the-line with 84 guns
(1842) ; 499. English ship-of-the-line, of the middle ofthe 18th cent. (40 guns).