Fodor Muséum. AMSTERDAM. 40. Route. 283
gracht 511, N. side, near the corner of the Vyzelstraat, containing
a celebrated *Gallery of Paintings, most of which passed directly
from the easel into the possession of the Six family. Part of the
collection formerly in this gallery came by inheritance into the
hands of the Van Loon family and was sold at Paris in 1877 for
the sum of 1,500,000 florins. The founder ofthe whole collection
was Jan Six (1618-1702; Burgomaster of Amsterdam from 1691
till his death), long the friend and patron of Rembrandt, Jan Li-
vens, and Gov. Flinck. Amateurs are kindly admitted to the Six
collection on sending in.their cards. Visitors give a small fee or a
contribution for a charitable purpose (see p. xxvi).
The names of a few of the more important works are given hère.
Ante-Room : P. Potter, Equestrian portrait (1653) ; Aart van der Neer, Moon-
light scène. — Dining Room: Terburg, Girl writing; L. Bakhuysen, Two
sea-pieces; Nie. Elias, Portrait of Professor Nie. Tulp (p. 247); Gov.
Flinck, Isaac blessing Jacob; Two "Miniatures of 1655, perhaps by Rem¬
brandt (?), representing Six, and his wife Margaretha Tulp (aged 21), daugh¬
ter of the professor, in the year of their marriage.
Principal Room. To the right: "Rembrandt, Portrait of Burgomaster
Six, the head completed, the rest broadly sketched in a masterly manner
(1656) ; opposite, "Rembrandt, Anna Six, mother of the burgomaster, at
the âge of 57 (1641). — Adjoining the first picture: "Jan Steen, Girl
eating oysters; A. van de Velde, View of Scheveningen; Berck-Heyde, The
Heerengracht in the middle of the 17th cent. ; Troost, Two conversation-
pièces; "Terburg, Concert; Potter, Cattle, with a milk-girl washing a pail
in the foreground (1647); "G. Dou, Girl at a window with a basket of
fruit (1657); Frans Hals, Portrait of a man; Nie. Maes, A child of the
Six family; "Rembrandt, The physician Ephraim Bonus, a Portuguese
Jew, painted in 1647 (8 in. in height); Wouverman and Ruysdael, The
ford; Wouverman, Market.
Upper Floor (small room lighted from the roof). To the right of
the door: P. de Hooch, Interior; Wouverman, Stable; Weenix, Moor
offering a lady a parrot (Othello?); N. Maes, The listener; "G. Dou,
Dentist; "Cuyp, Dutch fleet; above, Mierevelt, Three portraits; Both,
Fishérman. — On the back-wall: Ruysdael, Winter-landscape ; "A. Cuyp,
Moonlight on the sea ; A. van de Velde, Brown cow ; "Metsu, Woman
selling herrings ; Berchem, Forest-scene ; Adr. van Ostade, Fish-seller
(1672) ; "Hobbema, Forest-scene ; A. .de Lorme, Groote Kerk at Rotterdam ;
A. van Ostade, Interior of a peasant's house; A. van de Velde, Cow drink-
ing. — Third wall: Ruysdael, Swedish landscape; "Jan van der Meer van
Delft, Street in Delft, Peasant woman with a milk-pail; Hondecoeter, Dead
turkey, Goose and hare; S. Koninck, Scholar working by candie-light;
Everdingen, Winter-scene; Ruysdael, Norwegian scène; "Jan Steen, Wed-
ding-feast (1653); G. van den Eeckhout, The woman taken in adultery; F.
Hals (?), Man playing the guitar; Ochterveldt, Oyster-party.
The *Fodor Muséum (PI. E, 5), Keizersgracht 609, was found¬
ed by a wealthy merchant of that name (d. 1860). It consists
of a valuable collection of paintings by ancient and modem mas¬
ters, preserved in a building erected and maintained with funds
left by the donor for the purpose. For the study of the French
masters of the 19th century, this gallery is second to noue save
the Hertford Collection in London. Meissonier, Decamps, Ary
Scheffer, and others are hère represented by admirable works, while
the gallery also contains numerous fine conversation-pièces of
the modem Belgian and Dutch schools. Admission, see p. 275 ;