282 Route 40. AMSTERDAM. University.
the name and destination of thevessel, although beyond hailing dis¬
tance, are easily ascertained, and a report of the meeting is then
sent home. A fund for the widows and orphans of seamen is also
connected with the society. Visitors may obtain access to the
building by applying to the custodian in the forenoon (fee 50 c).
The Kalverstraat (PI. D, 3, 4), which leads southwards from
the Dam, is one of the chief thoroughfares of the city, and contains
numerous fine shops, restaurants, and cafés. After 9 p.m. it becomes
the scène of a kind of Corso or promenade, from which, however,
carriages are excluded. — The Reguliers-Brêe-Straat, a continuation
of the Kalverstraat, leads to the Rembrandtsplein (see below).
Since the conversion of the original town-house into the palace,
the old Court of Admiralty, in the Oudezyds-Voorburgwal, has
served as a Stadhuis (PI. D, 3). This formerly contained about
200 paintings, including several excellent corporation-pièces by
Fr. Hals, F. Bol, Van der Helst, and Gov. Flinck, views of Am¬
sterdam by Lingelbach, P. Saenredam, and others ; and various
other works of art and antiquities. Most of thèse, however, are
now in the new Ryks Muséum (p. 285).
The municipal University, or Athenaeum Illustre (PI. 57;
E, 4), possesses a well - appointed school of natural science, in¬
cluding chemical and physiological laboTatories. There are about 50
professors and 600 students. The Botanic Garden (p. 310) belongs
to this institution.
The University Library, in an adjacent building which was restored
in 1881, contains about 100,000 printed volumes, including the Rosenthal
Collection of 8000 books on Indian literature. It also possesses numerous
valuable MSS. (Cœsar's Bellum Gallicum of the lOth cent. ; Syriac New
Testament ; a Sachsenspiegel of the 14th cent. ; letters of Dutch scholars).
The library is open daily, 10-3.
The Arti et Amicitiee society of painters in the Rokin (PI.
D, 4) possesses a Historical Gallery of 200 pictures and scènes
from the history of the Netherlands, comprising many works of
great merit. Other exhibitions of art also take place hère, sometimes
affording an admirable opportunity of inspecting valuable old paint¬
ings and other works of art lent by private individuals. Admission
25-50 c. — In the vicinity is the Lees-Museum (Reading Room,
PI. 42), with newspapers. Introduction by a member necessary.
In the Rembrandtsplein (PI. E, 4) rises the Statue of Rem¬
brandt, in bronze, designed by Royer, and erected in 1852. Rem¬
brandt's house, see p. 312. — From the Rembrandtsplein the
Binnen-Amstel leads N.E. to the Botanic and Zoological Gardens
(see p. 310). To the W. is the Reguliers-Brêe-Straat (see above).
The Rembrandtsplein is adjoined on the S. by the Thoreecke-
plein, which is embellished with a statue, by Leenhoff, of Joh.
Rud. Thorbecke (A. 1872 ; PI. E, 4), long the leader of the libéral
party in Holland, and three times in office as a minister.
In the neighbourhood is the House of Herr J. P. Six, Heeren-