Zeemanshoop. AMSTERDAM. 40. Route. 281
(1655) and an elaborate chimney-piece, contains aFlorentine mosaic cab¬
inet and a rich service of Sèvres. — The Small Dining Room contains
Bronchorst's masterpiece, Jethro counselling Moses to appoint judges from
among the people to share his labours (Exodus xviii). Opposite is Solo-
mon's Prayer, by Gov. Flinck. On the side wall, between the huge chimney-
pieces, is a picture by Jac. de Witt, Moses choosing the 70 elders. The
clever deceptive paintings (imitations of sculptures) above the doors are
by the same master.
The Large Dining Room, formerly called the South Gallery, is also
richly adorned with white marble. The four marble statues, Satura
and Cybele, Mars and Venus, correspond to those in the North Gallery,
and like them are by Art. Quellin, who received 900 florins for each.
Above the doors which fcnynerly led to the chambers for cases of bank-
ruptcy and marine-insurance are two fine reliefs, one representing the
Fall of Icarus, with an ornamental moulding of rats and mice gnawing
empty boxes and papers, and the other Arion on the Dolphin.
The Queen's Room contains an excellent painting by Jan Livens,
representing Prudence, Justice and Peaee. — In the Throne Room the
chief décorations are the handsome chimney-piece and a painting by
Ferd. Bol of Moses on Mount Sinai, both of which, however, are unfor-
tunately concealed by the eanopy over the throne.
The magnificent Réception Room is one of the largest halls in Eu¬
rope, with a roof unsupported by columns, being 100 ft. in height, 39 yds.
long, and 19 yds. broad. The walls hère also are entirely lined with
white Italian marble. In the centre of the marble floor is a représenta¬
tion of the firmament, inlaid in copper, which, however, is covered by
a thick carpet manufactured in Deventer (p. 329) and is not shown to the
public. Above the entrance to the throne-room is a représentation of
Justice, with Ignorance and Quarrelsomeness at her feet; to the left is
Punishment, to the right a Skeleton (now concealed), and above, Atlas
with the globe. On the E. side of the hall, at the top of the chief stair¬
case, is an allegorical figure of the town of Amsterdam, surrounded by
Strength, Wisdom, and Plenty. The four arches in the corners were
formerly connected with the old North and South Galleries, by means
of short marble arcades, of which, however, three are now closed. On
the walls of this and the throne-room are fiags and trophies taken from
the Spaniards and Indians; and the flag used by General Chassé at the
siège ef Antwerp is also preserved hère.
The Tower of the palace, the summit of which is crowned with
a gilded ship, commands an extensive *View of the city and its
environs, including Haarlem, Utrecht, Alkmaar, and the Zuiderzee.
The attendant who conducts visitors through the palace leaves them
at the foot of the staircase leading to the tower. We ascend to the first
landing and follow a somewhat dark passage to a second staircase, lead¬
ing to the garret. Crossing this we ascend a flight of wooden steps and
reach a closed door on which we knock loudly to summon the keeper of
the tower (small fee).
In front of the Palace is a lofty Monument, erected in 1856 to
commemorate the fidelity of the Dutch during the Belgian Révol¬
ution in 1830-31, and known as Het Metalen Kruis, after the war-
medals struck at the time. The sandstone statue of Concordia, on
a hexagonal base with a lofty square pedestal, is by L. Royer.
At the corner of the Dam and the Kalverstraat is situated the
building of the Zeemanshoop ('seaman's hope', PI. 59; D, 3), a
society consisting of upwards of 600 members, many of whom belong
to the best families of Amsterdam. Those who are captains recog-
nise each other's vessels at sea by the flag of the society. As
every member's flag bears his number on the lists of the society,