280 Route 40. AMSTERDAM.
Galen, who died in 1653 at Leghorn, of wounds received in the naval
battle near that town. The monument of Admirai Van Kinsbergen, to the
left of the entrance to the church, by F. J. Gabriel, was erected in 1819.
Opposite to it is the monument of the gallant Van Speyk (p. 162), who in
1831 'maintained the honour of his country's flag at the cost of his life'.
A pillar in the S. aisle, adjoining the screen, bears an inscription to ihe
memory of Joost van den Vondel (d. 1679; p. 310), the Dutch dramatist.
To the S. of the Nieuwe Kerk is the*Boyal Palace (Het PaUis),
begun by Jac. van Kampen in 1648 as a town-hall, during Burgo¬
master Tulp's mayoralty, and substantially flnished in 1655 at a
cost of eight million florins. It rests on a foundation of 13,659
piles ; length 88 yds., width 69 yds., height of tower (containing
chimes) 187 ft. It was presented by the city to King Louis Napo¬
léon as a résidence in 1808. The massive and sober building was
admirably adapted for a town-hall, but standing in the open market-
place and having no principal entrance, it is unsuitable for a palace.
The gables are embellished with well - executed reliefs by Artus
Quellin the Elder, celebrating allegorically the glories of the great
commercial city and 'queen of the seas'. The whole arrangement
and fltting up of the interior also carry us back to the days when
the représentatives of a wealthy and powerful municipality con-
gregated hère. Ail the apartments are richly adorned with sculp¬
tures in white marble by Artus Quellin and his assistants, which
produce a very imposing gênerai effect, while the détails exhibit
great vigour of exécution and duly-restrained picturesqueness of
The Entrance (adm., see p. 275) is at the back of the building in the
Voorburgwal. We ascend the staircase to the flrst floor and enter the
North Gallery, the walls of which are lined with white marble. The
gallery is now divided into three rooms, the first of which contains figures
of Jupiter and Apollo, by Artus Quellin. In the second room, above the
doors leading to what were originally the secretary's office and the room
for marriages, are reliefs emblematical of Discrétion and Fidelity. The
third room is adorned with statues of Saturn and Cybele, by A. Quellin, and
contains a handsome malachite vase, presented by the Emperor of Russia.
A narrow passage now leads to the Royal Apartments, which are
sumptuously fitted up with heavy silk hangings and furniture in the
style of the First Empire. The King's Bed Room has a richly painted
ceiling by Cornelis Holsteyn and a handsome chimney-piece, above which
is a large picture by N. de Helt-Stocade, representing Joseph and his
brethren. — The Audience Chamber, originally the burgomaster's room,
contains several paintings : Self-sacrifice of Van Speyk (p. 162), by Wappers
and Eeckhout; Marcus Curius Dentatus as a husbandman, one of the lar-
gest pictures by Gov. Flinck; Fabricius in the camp of Pyrrhus, by Ferd.
Bol. The ceiling is also by C. Holsteyn. — The Aides-de-Camps' Waiting
Room contains a ceiling-painting by J. G. Bronchorst and an elaborately
executed chimney-piece. The painting above the latter, by Jan Livens,
represents the Consul Suessa ordering his father to dismount to do him
révérence. — The old court-room, called the Vierschaar, which we
inspect from a gallery with a ceiling by Bronchorst, is adorned with a
fine frieze supported by Caryatides, emblematical of Disgrâce and Punish-
ment. The reliefs of the frieze represent Wisdom (the Judgment of So-
lomon), Justice (Brutus ordering his son to exécution), and Mercy (Seleu-
cus suffering one of his eyes to be put out for his son). The walls are
covered with white marble.
The Yellow Tea Room, with a roof painted by N. de Helt-Stocade