Nieuwe Kerk. AMSTERDAM. 40. Route. 279
Digman. To the right by the entrance is a window* containing the armoriai
bearings of ail the burgomasters of the city from 1578 to 1767; in the
second window the récognition of the Netherlands by Philip IV. (p. xxxii).
The monument of Admirai Van Heemskerck bears an old Dutch inscription,
alluding to his having twice endeavoured to discover a more direct route
to the E. Indies by the Arctic Sea. He fell in 1607 at the victorious
Battle of Gibraltar. The church also contains monuments of Admirais
Van der Hulst (d. 1666), Sweers (d. 1673), Van der Zaan (d. 1669), and
Jansz (d. 1633), of Marshal Wirtz (d. 1676), and of the poetess Lucretia
Wilhelmina van Winter (d. 1705).
From the Oude Kerk we proceed through the Warmoesstraat, or
across the fllled-in portion of the Damrak Canal (Gedempt Damrak ;
PI. D, 3), to the Dam (PI. D, 3), a large square, forming the focus
of the business life of the city. It owes its name to its position
on the W. side of the old embankmeut with which the foundation
of the city is traditionally connected. The Dam is surrounded by the
Exchange, the Royal Palace, the Nieuwe Kerk, and several private
houses, and it is the centre from which the principal streets diverge.
It is also the central point of the tramway-system (p. 274), and
adjacent, in the Rokin, is a landing-stage of the small harbour-
steamers (p. 274).
On the N.E. side of the Dam rises the Exchange (Koopmans
Beurs, PI. D, 3), a handsome structure with an Ionic colonnade,
resting on a foundation of 3469 piles, completed in 1845. The
hall in the interior is covered with glass. During business-hours
(admission, see p. 275) most of the principal merchants and bro¬
kers, as well as a number of sea-faring men, will be seen assembled
hère, transacting their business in eager, but subdued murmurs.
During one week in August and September the Exchange is con-
verted into a playground for boys, whose delight on thèse occasions
is unbounded. The tradition is, that boys playing hère were once
instrumental in discovering a conspiracy of the Spaniards against
the city of Amsterdam in 1622, and that this privilège was accorded
to the children of the citizens in commémoration of the incident.
— A new Exchange is to be erected on the Gedempt Damrak (see
At the N.W. angle of the Dam stands the Nieuwe Kerk (PI.
D, 3), a late-Gothic cruciform structure, erected in 1408-70, and
restored after Ares and outrages in 1578 and 1645. It is one of the
flnest churches in Holland. The W. tower, which had hitherto
been uncompleted beyond the lower story, was raised to the height
of the nave in 1847.
The Interior (sacristan at the N.E. corner of the Dam, No. 6; 25 c.)
is covered with a vaulted wooden ceiling, and contains remnants of some
fine old stained glass, representing the raising of the siège of Leyden
(p. 260). The pulpit, by Vinckenbrinck, executed in 1649, is beautifully
carved. The nave is separated from the choir by a brazen screen, 13 ft.
in height. The place of the high-altar is occupied by the monument of
the celebrated Admirai de Ruyter, who died in 1676 of wounds received
at the victorious Battle of Syracuse. On a pillar in the choir is the bust
of Admirai Wouter Bentinck, who fell in the naval battle near the Dogger-
bank in 1781. Another monument is to the memory of Admirai Johann von