278 Route 40. AMSTERDAM. Oude Kerk.
Oostelyk Dok (PI. E, 2), or lie at the Handelskade (PI. F, G, 1),
a long quay stretching towards the E. The Oostelyk Dok is ad-
joined by the Ryks-Marine-Dok and the Ryks-Werf (PI. F, 2), or
dock and wharf of the royal navy (entrance in the Groote Katten-
burger Straat). On the N. side of the Y are the floating docks of
the Amsterdamsch Droogdok Maatschappy, which hâve been named
Koninginnendok (PI. E , 1) in honour of Queen Emma (visitors
admitted ; steam-ferry, see p. 274).
Along the S. side of the harbour runs the Prins Hendrik-Kade
(PI. D, E, 2), or Prince Henry's Quay, originally called the Buiten-
kant, skirting the N. side of the town and flanked with numerous
quaint old houses and magazines. It formerly commanded a very
picturesque view of the Y, which is, however, now somewhat marred
by the new docks and islands. The central part of the Prins Hend-
rik-Kade, projecting in the form of a semicircle, used to be the
starting-place of the Indiamen. Hard by is the Schreyerstoren
(PI. 52; E, 2), built in 1482 and now containing the office of
the harbour-master; it dérives its name ('criers' tower') from the
tears shed on the neighbouring wharf by persons parting from their
relatives and friends. Opposite rises the télégraphie station in
communication with the North Sea Canal at Ymuiden (p. 315),
with an indicator of the direction of the wind, the height of the
tide, etc. The Sehreyerstoren is one of the busiest stations of the
harbour-steamer trafflc (p. 274).
Farther to the E. on the Prins Hendrik-Kade (No. 131) is
Admirai de Ruyter's House, with his portrait in relief ou the gable.
— A little farther back, on the Oude Schans, is the old Montalbaans
Tower (PI. 44 ; E, 3). — At the end of the quay is the Kweekschool
voor de Zeewaart (PI. 41 ; F, 2), or Seamen's Institution, in which
boys are educated for the merchant-service (adm., see p. 275). The
présent building was erected in 1880, in the Dutch Renaissance
style, by W. and J. L. Springer. — Beyond the Nieuwe Heeren-
gracht is the Zeemanshuis (PI. F, 2), or sailors' home, to which visi¬
tors are admitted daily, except Sun., from 10 to 1. Opposite is the
Royal Dockyard (see above) and behind it is the Entrepôt (p. 311).
From the Schreyerstoren the Geldersche Kade leads S. to the
Nieuwe Markt (PI. E, 3), with the Fish Market (PI. 58), which
présents a lively scène during the morning hours. Adjacent is the
St. Anthonieswaag (PI. 53), or old weigh house, long used by dif¬
férent guilds and now occupied by the Municipal Fire Brigade.
A little to the "W. of this point is the Oude Kerk (PI. D, 3), a
Gothic édifice, erected about the year 1300, and measuring 98 yds.
in length by 71 in breath. (Oustodian on the E. side, No. 76,
The Interior is supported by 42 slender round pillars, and covered
with wooden barrel-vaulting. The stained glass in the Windows of the
lofty nave, dating partly from 1555, represents scènes from the history of
the Virgin (Death, Adoration of the Magi, Visitation, and Annunciation), by