Collections. AMSTERDAM. 40. Route. 275
Schollenbrug every 10 min., and to Diemen everv hour. — 4. On the
Amstel, from the Achtergracht (PI. F, 4), to Ouderkërk, a village to the S.
of Amsterdam, every hour, from 7 to 11 a.m. and from 1 to 7 p.m. —
5. From the De Ruyter-Kade (PI. D, 2) to the Tolhuis (p. 314), every i/4 hr.
— The times of departure vary with the season of the year (comp. the
Offcieele Reisgids). — Steamers can be hired for excursions, tariffs to be
had from the conductors.
b. Other Steamers : to Alkmaar (p. 317), twice daily ; to Zaandam,
see p. 314; to Purmerend (p. 320), 6 times daily; to Kampen and Zwolle
(pp. 324, 325), daily ; to Leyden, several times daily ; to Rotterdam (p. 229),
daily; to Hoorn (p. 320), daily; to Harlingen (p. 323), daily; to Leith, once
fortnightly; to London, twice weekly (fares 23 s., 15 s.); to Huit, twice
weekly; to Liverpool fortnightly. A steamer also plies nearly every Sun.
in summer to the island of Marken (p. 316), starting at 10 a m. at the
Westerdok, behind the Central Station (p. 277). (Consult the Officieele
Reisgids, mentioned at p. xxvi.)
Post and Telegraph Office (PI. D, 3), in the Nieuwezyds Voorburgwal,
at the back of the Palace. There are several branch post and telegraph
British Consul, W. C. Robinson, Esq., Prins Hendrik-Kade 183 (office-
hours 10-2). — United States Consul: David Eckstein, Esq., Doelenstraat 20
English Episcopal Church (PI. 19), Groenburgwal 42; service at 10.30
a.m.; chaplain, Rev. James Chambers. — Presbyterian Church in the Begy-
nenhof; service at 10 a.m.
Collections, Muséums, Galleries, etc.
Arti et Amicitiae, historical picture-gallery (p. 282), daily 10-4; ad¬
mission 25 c.
Blind Institution (p. 312), Wednesdays, 10-12.
Botanical Garden (p. 310), daily, 10-5 ; admission 25 c.
Exchange (p. 279), daily; business-hour l-2'/2; admission 25 c.
Library (municipal), on the Singel, near the Heiligenweg, daily 9-4,
but in July and August twice a week only.
Linnaeus Garden (p. 316), outside the Muiderpoort (PI. J, 3), on the
Watergraafsmeer, daily, 50 c.
Muséum Fodor (p. 283), daily, except Tuesdays, from 10 (Sundays
from 11) to 3 or 4, in winter 11-3; admission on Sundays 25 c, on other
days 50 c.
Palace, Royal (p. 280), daily, 9 or 10 to 4 (3 on Sun.); fee for one per¬
son 50 c, and 50 c. more for the aseent of the tower ("View).
Panopticum and Panorama, see p. 274.
Ryks Muséum (p. 285), daily, except Mon., 10-5 (in winter 10-4); on
Sun. and holidays, 12.30-5.
Seamen's Training School (p. 278), Mon., Tues., Thurs., Frid., and Sat.,
gratis ; closed in August.
Stadhuis (p. 282), daily, best before or after office-hours (9-4); fee 50c.
Town Hall, see Stadhuis.
Zoological Garden (p. 310), daily, admission 50 c. ; open in summer
from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m., but the larger animais not visible after 7 p.m.;
concerts in summer on Wednesday evenings and Monday forenoons and
Principal Attractions : Ryks Muséum (p. 285); Zoological Garden (p. 310);
Walk on the Buitenkant, the Oosterdok and Westerdok (p. 278) ; ferry to
the Koninginnendok, Nieuwendam, or the Tolhuis (p. 314).
Amsterdam, the commercial capital of Holland, lies at the in¬
flux of the Amstel into the Y or Ij (pronounced as î long), an arm
of the Zuiderzee which has been formed into an excellent harbour.
The town originated at the beginning of the 13th cent., when Gys-
brechtll., lord of Amstel, built a castle hère (1204) and constructed
the dam which has given rise to its name. In 1275 Count Florens V.