to Luxor. MULNFALUT. 17. Route. 191
190 M. Der Mawds. On the [E. bank are the ruins of Tell
tl-'Amarna (p. 203), which may be visited hence.
From Der Mawas we ride via the villages of Hasseiba and Tall Beni
'Amrdn to the (3/4 hr.) bank of the Nile, across which we ferry to Hagg-
Kandil (see p. 203).
196 M. Derut, on the Ibrdhlmlyeh Canal (p. 241), from which
the Bahr Yusuf, or Joseph's Canal (p. 175), diverges a few miles
farther up. We notice a large lock and bridge here. Opposite, near
the W. bank of the Ibrahim Canal, is Derut esh-Shcrlf, a district
capital with 6550 inhabitants. The ruins of Tell el-'Amarna (p. 203)
may be visited from the railway-station of Derut also.
Hiring a sailing-boat we proceed first by a canal, then by the Nile, to
llawdta (p. 210) or Ilagg-Kandil (p. 203), reached in 1-2 hrs. according to
205 M. Nazdli Ganub. Beyond the Ibrahimiyeh Canal lies El-
Kusiyeh (p. 210). — 210 M. Beni Korra.
217 M. Monfalut(Man/atotU,p.2il),with 15,200 inhab., 172M.-
from the Nile, is the seat of a Coptic bishop and contains several
line villas and gardens and a bazaar. Its market is much frequented
on Sun., and it also possesses a sugar-factory and a distillery, where
date-brandy ('araki) is made, chiefly for local consumption by the
Copts but partly for export also.
To the S.W. of Monfalut lies Beni 'Adin, where in 1798 a collision
took place between the troops of General Desaix and the Arabs. In the
following year, General Davoust destroyed it. Mohammed'AH united his
army here in 1820. The journey to the oasis of 'Fardfra (p. liv) is fre¬
quently begun here. The first station to the N.W. is the Coptic convent
of Maragh tp. xxxix).
The following stations are (226 M.) Beni Husen, and —
235 M. Assiut or Slut, see p. 212.
243 M. El-Mali'a (Motidd). — 250 M. Abutlg (p. 214); the
village and an Arab cemetery lie to the left of the line. — 256 M.
Sedfa; 261 M. Tema (p. 214), a pretty village in verdant surround¬
ings ; 265'/2 M. Mishteh (Mechta); 272 M. Tahta, with 16,300 inhab.
and a noted cattle-market (p. 215). The Arabian hills now approach
close to theE. bank. —280 M. El-Mardgha; 286 M. Shendawln
(Chandaouil, p. 215).
291 M. Sohag, see p. 215. On the E. bank lies Akhmim (p. 216).
The railway crosses a canal. — 301 M. El-Menshlyeh (Menchah;
p. 216); 307 M. El-Assirat.
313V2 M. Girgeh '(Guerga), see p. 217. — 318i/2 M. Bardis.
3231/2 M. Belianeh (Baliana) is the station for visitors to the
ruins of Abydos (p. 218), which lie 81/2 M. to the S.W. — 328 M.
Abu Shusheh, the ancient Egyptian Pe(r)-zoz. — 334 M. Abu Tisheh
(Abou Tichet). Beyond (340 M.) Farshut the railway approaches
the Nile and crosses it beyond —
345 M. Nag' Ham'tdi (p. 224), by an iron bridge 437 yds. in
length. The line remains on the E. bank as far as Assuan. — 350 M.
Dabbeh (Debbah). — 357 M. Fdu (p. 225).