its Side /Streets.
4. Koute. *i
small bottles into which it is usually put contain only one drop. Then
follow the weavers and tailors.
The vha,ri'a en-Narbiyeh is continued to the S. by the Shari'a el-Fah-
hdm;n (PL E, 3, 4), in which is the bazaar for wares from Tunis arid
Algiers. We first observe drug-stalls, aud then magazines of light-coloured
woollen and other stud's, Arabian rugs, etc.
We now turu sharp to the right, then sharp to the left, and pursuing
the same direction, parallel with the El-'Akkadin street (see below), and
passing a number of shoemakers' stalls (bawdbishi), we come to a broader
covered passage, which we follow to the right for a few paces, and then
take the first lane to the left. This lane is continued under the name of
Shdri'a el-Menaggidin, and is inhabited chietly by tailors, cloth-merchants,
and dealers in undressed wool A short abrupt curve of this lane, to the
left, then brings us to the Shdri'a el-'Akkddin.
The Ashrafiyeh forms the first part of a long line of streets
leading to the S. and farther on taking successively the names of
Ghubjyeh, Shaei'a el-'Akkaiun, and Sukkariyeh. In the Ghuriyeh
we observe the medreseh and mausoleum of Sultan el-Ghuri (PL E,
3, 4). The medreseh, to the W., was finished in 1503 and has a
minaret, inappropriately crowned with five modern dwarf cupolas.
The mausoleum, to the E., .dating from 1504, has a modem and
tasteless wooden cupola and a restored ceiling (in the oratory). The
sultan, who fell in Syria (p. xcvii), is not buried here. Adjacent is
a well-preserved sebil, with kuttab (p. 37), projecting into the street.
To the E. of the Shari'a el-'Akkadin lies the quarter o' H6sh Kadam.
In its main street stands the ruinous 'House of Cranial ed-Din ez-Zahabi
(PL E, 4), president of the merchants, an interesting building of 1637
(adm. bj ticket as in the mosques, 2 pias.). Through a dilapidated passage
(dirkeh) we reach the court of the Salamlik, with two well-prse.ved
facades. To the right is the door of the harem; to the left is a flight of
steps leading to the Takhta Bosh (p. clxv). The inscription on the moulding
gives the da'e of the building. The small door in the middle of the wall
(bdb es-sir) is the private door of the master of the house, leading to the
harem. Just to the left is a small chamber with Mushrabiyehs (p. clxvi),
whence the laoies of the harem could overlook the court and the Takhta-
bosh. In front is the Ka'a, recently restored. The rest of the house is
The Sukkariyeh (PL E, 4) forms the bazaar for sugar, dried
fruits (nukl), fish, candles, and similar wares. On the left is the
modern marble Sebil of Mohammed 'Ali, and on the right the —
*Gami'a el-Muaiyad (PL D, E, 4), also known as Gdmi'a
el-Ahmar ('the red'), a mosque dating from 1416. It was erected
by Sultan Shekh el-Mdhmudi Muaiyad (p. xcvii), of the dynasty of
the Circassian Mamelukes, who had been defeated in a rebellion
against Sultan Farag (p. 65), and vowed that he would build a
mosque on this site if he were released from prison.
The lately restored sanctuary, the two mausoleums, and the minarets
on the gates of the Bab ez-Zuweleh (see p. 48), the upper parts of which
were added in 1892, are the only remains of the original structure. The
three massive walls, intended to enclose three new liwans, were erected
during a restoration in the second half of the 19th century.
The bronze gate at the entrance, the handsomest in Cairo,
originally belonged to the mosque of Sultan Hasan (p. 49), but
was bought for the new mosque for 500 dinars. We first enter a