2. Route. 19
Kasr el-Kaydsereh ('Castle of Caesar'), which provided material for
the chateau. — The train now passes a series of villas and gardens
full of luxuriant vegetation. The villas of Ramleh begin at Bulkeley,
the next station, which has an English church. It is named, like
the following stations, after one of the promoters of the railway.
Ramleh (i.e. 'sand') is a modern place, consisting chiefly of
numerous country-houses, with water-works of its own and excellent
sea-bathing. It is a fashionable summer-resort from Alexandria and
Cairo, and is visited also in winter. — From Bulkeley a branch-line
runs via, Zizinia to San Stefano (see below) and the palace of the
Khedive's mother (see below). The main line runs on via Fleming
(*H6tel Miramare), Bacos, Seffer, and Schutz (Hotel de Plaisance,
pens. 8-12 fr.) to its terminus at San Stefano. Bacos, the central
part of Ramleh, has a bazaar, a mosque, and a Roman Catholic church
and school. Close to the terminus are the *H6tel Casino San Stefano
(pens, from 12s.), with garden, theatre, concert-rooms, and card-
rooms, and its de'pendance the Hotel Bagdad. To the E., by the
sea, is the Hotel Beaurivage, another de'pendance. — On the way
to the sea are various Graeco-Roman remains. On the beach, l'^M.
to the N.E., is a new chateau built by the mother ofthe present
Khedive (no admission; rail, station, see above).
4. Excursion to Abukir and Rosetta.
44'/z M. Railway in 4 5 hrs. (fares 34 or 17 pias.); two trains daily.
Trains start from the Principal Station (p. 5). Provisions should be taken.
The Railway skirts the coast, from which have vanished the
famous towns that lay on it in antiquity. As far as Sldi Gdber (see
p. 18), the train runs parallel with the railway to Cairo, which
then diverges to the right, while our line follows a N.E. direction.
Stations: Zahrlyeh (Dahrieh), Silk, Gabrial, and Ramleh (see above ;
the station lies '/2 M. to the E. of the town). The line crosses the
desert. 9y2M. El-Mandara; 10M. Montaza, with a viceregal chateau.
The train now skirts the edge of the fertile region. 12Va M. Charaba.
14i/2 M. Abukir,' an insignificant village with a shallow harbour,
famous for the naval battle of 1st Aug., 1798, in which the British
fleet under Nelson signally defeated the French, destroying thirteen
of their seventeen vessels. On July 25th, 1799, Bonaparte repulsed
the Turkish army here ; and on March 8th, 1801, Sir Ralph Aber-
cromby defeated the remnants of the French army, and compelled
the evacuation of Egypt.
Abukir is probably the ancient Bukiris. — In the vicinity lay the
ancient city of Ganopus, a favourite resort of the Alexandrians, who there
celebrated the wildest orgies. The temple of Serapis was largely visited
by pilgrims in search of health. Excavations begun in 1893 were highly
successful, the rich results being now in the Museum at Alexandria. The
resemblance of the name to that of Canobus, the helmsman of Menelaus,
gave rise to the Greek tradition that that pilot was interred here.
On the shore of the semicircular bay of Abukir are several small
forts, and on the promontory rises a lighthouse. The train continues