18 Route 2. ALEXANDRIA. Environs.
chateau Nimreh Teldteh ('Number Three'; PL N. T.) and the chateau
and garden of Moharrem-Bey.
The Excursion to Meks (Mex) may he made by railway, by
boat_from the Marina, by the electric tramway (p. 5), or by carriage
(p. 5). By rail we start from the principal station (PL G, 5), pass
the stations of Hadra and Nuzha, cross the Mahmudiyeh Canal, and
then turn towards the W., passing Gabbari, Phare, and Shefekhane
(comp. PL E, F, 8). The station for Meks is at (10 M.) Manazel.
The road (PL D, C, 8) traverses the hilly ancient Necropolis ofthe
Ptolemaic period (p. 9). Between the road and the railway are the
gardens and palace of Gabbari, which have been converted into a
Quarantine or lazzaretto. In the friable limestone ofthe coast-hills
are a number of tomb-chambers, called Baths of Cleopatra ; hut most
of them have been destroyed by the inroads of the sea, and are now
covered up. Farther on, to the right, is the large Slaughter House,
built in 1898. On the beach of Meks are a casino, sea-baths, and
several restaurants and cafes. To the S.W., close to the sea, is the
Bab el-Arab ('Beduin Gate'), the extremity of a line of fortifications
extending between the sea and Lake Mareotis (p. 21). The quarries
of Meks (p. lii) supplied the material for the new harbour-works.
Ramleh is connected with Alexandria hy a road beginning at
the Porte de Rosette and by two railways. On one of the railways,
however (Abukir-Rosetta line, p. 19, starting from the principal
station, PL G, 5), there are only two trains daily to Ramleh.
The station of the Direct Railway to Ramleh lies to the N.E.
ofthe town (PI. G, 2) ; trains every '/^hr. (1st cl. return-fare, 4 pias.).
The so-called Roman Tower (PI. G, 3), '/« M. to the E. of the station,
seems to be an early-Arab erection. — To the W. of the station stood,
down to March, 18S0, the famous obelisk called Cleopatra's Needle, dating
from the time of the Pharaohs, and erected in front of the Caesareum. It
was presented to the city of New York by the Khedive Isma'il, and now
forms one of the prominent features of the Central Park there. — A com¬
panion obelisk, that lay prone in the sand by the side of Cleopatra's Needle
until 1877, now adorns the Thames Embankment at London.
Projecting into the sea, to the left, soon after the departure, is
the small Fort Silseleh (PL H, 1). We here obtain a retrospect of
the sickle-shaped S.E. side of the town.
The railway then traverses the rubbish-heaps of the ancient
Nicopolis, the large E. suburb of Alexandria founded by Augustus
on the site of his final victory over the adherents of Antony. Near
Ibrahlmlyeh, the first station, are a Greek-Orthodox Church, numerous
villas, and the finely situated British Sporting Club, with its race¬
course. Beside the next station, Sidi Gdber or Musfafa, is the tomb
of a highly revered Mohammedan saint, with a neighbouring mosque
built by the present Khedive. On an eminence to the left is a ruined
viceregal chateau, built by Isma'il Pasha, now accommodating the
greater part of the British garrison, the remainder being under canvas
close hy (Camp Moustapha). In the vicinity are the remains of the