ANDENNE. 27. Route. 161
14 M. Stat. Amay, a village at some distance from the river
possesses a Romanesque church with three towers. Neuville, a
modern chateau, beyond which the scenery again becomes more
picturesque, lies nearly opposite stat. Ampsin, where a ruined
tower stands on the bank of the river. The train continues to skirt
the hills on the 1. bank, of which no view is obtained.
18 M. Stat. Huy, Flem. Hoey (*Aigle Noir, pension 5 fr.;
*Poste), isatownwith 11,000 inhab., at the mouth of the Hoyoux.
The Citadel, constructed in 1822, but condemned to demolition in
1873, rises from the river in terraces. The works are partially hewn
in the solid rock, and command both banks of the river. The hills
on the 1. bank are here i/2 M. distant from the river. The *Collegiate
Church (Notre Dame), a fine structure in the most perfect Gothic
style, was begun in 1311, but it was restored after a fire in the
16th cent, in the late Gothic style. Handsome W. portal with good
sculptures. In 1868 a statue by Geefs was erected here to Jos.
Lebeau, a Belgian statesman, born at Huy in 1794, one of the most
zealous promoters of the election of King Leopold.
The abbey of Neufmoustier, founded by Peter the Hermit
(d. 1115), formerly stood in one of the suburbs of Huy, and the
great preacher of the Crusades was himself buried here. A statue
has been erected to him in the garden of the old abbey. This was
one of no fewer than seventeen religious houses which Huy
possessed under the re'gime of the bishops of Liege, although the
population of the town was then about 5000 only.
The Valley of the Hoyocx is replete with beautiful scenery for
many miles above Huy. In this valley, 9 M. from Huy, lies Pont de Bonne
(Inn), from which a visit may he paid to the chateau of Modave, erected
by the counts Marchin in the 17th cent., situated on a lofty rock.
20!/2 M. Stat. Bas-Oha, with an old castle now restored, and
vineyards on the neighbouring hills. On the height opposite are
the scanty ruins of the castle of Beaufort, destroyed in 1554.
25 M. Stat. Andenne-Seilles. On the 1. bank, where the
railway-station is situated, Res the straggling village of Seilles,
the last in the district of Liege. There are several lime-kilns here,
and a chateau restored in the style of the 15th century. The columns
of the Palais de Justice at Liege (p. 149) are of the blue limestone
quarried in this neighbourhood. Opposite Seille, and connected
with it by means of an iron bridge, lies Andenne, with 6370 inhab.,
a busy town, with paper, fayence, and other manufactories. The
pipe-clay dug in the vicinity is largely exported to Holland. Down
to 1785 a religious establishment of 32 sisters of noble family, who
weTe not bound by any vow to abstain from matrimony, had existed
here for upwards of a thousand years. It is said to have been found¬
ed by St. Begga, a daughter of Pepin of Herstal (p. 156), and the
order was probably identical with that of the Beguines, who are also
permitted to many. The establishment was transferred to Namur
by Emp. Joseph II.
Baedeker's Belgium and Holland. 4th Kdit.| \\