154 Route 25. TILFF. From Liege
salaries and wages amount to 8 million fr. annually. In 1872 there
were 223 steam-engines, of 4770 horse-power collectively , in con¬
stant operation, and 300,000 tons of fuel were consumed. The an¬
nual value of the goods manufactured amounts to 25—30 million
fr., and the works are capable of producing 100 locomotives, 7(1
steamboat-engines varying from 4 to 1000 horse-power, 1500 other
steam-engines, and 6000 tons of cast iron for the construction of
bridges and other purposes. The establishment comprises every
branch of industry connected with the manufacture of iron, such as
coal-mines, iron stone-mines, puddling furnaces, cast-steel works,
and engine factories.
In the vicinity of Seraing (up the river) are the extensive
coal-mines and blast-furnaces of the Esperance company; farther
distant, the glass works of Val-St. Lambert, established in a sup¬
pressed Cistercian Abbey, one of the largest manufactories of the
kind in Europe. Farther down the river are the furnaces of Sclessin
on the L, and the iron-works of Ougree on the r. bank.
25. From Li&ge to Marloie.
401|« M. Railway (Ligne de VOurthe) in 1 hr. 55 min.; fares 5 fr. 20, 3-
fr. 90, 2 fr. 60 c.
The train starts from the Station des Guillemins at Liege, and
follows the Pepinster line (p. 163) as far as stat. Angleur, where
it turns to the S. into the beautiful valley of the Ourthe, a tribu¬
tary of the Meuse, which intersects the principal part of the Belgian
Ardennes in numerous windings from N. to S. On the slope to the
1. at the entrance to the narrower part of the valley, which is called
the 'Streupas' (pas etroit), stands the chateau of Beau-Fraipont,
with its massive square tower. The train then passes the foot of
an eminence crowned with the turreted chateau of Colonster. On
the opposite bank is the chateau of Ancre.
6 M. Stat. Tilff (Hotel de VAmiraute; Hotel des Etrangers), a
large village prettily situated on the right bank of the stream, and
reached from the railway by an iron bridge, is much resorted to in
summer by the citizens of Liege. About Vo M. below it is the
Villa Neef, with pretty grounds. About Vo M. above Tilff, high
above the road, is the entrance to a not very easily accessible
stalactite cavern (admission 1 fr., costume 35 c, bougies 20 c.
each). On the height above it is the chateau of Brialmont.
The train then passes the chateau of Monceau, crosses the river,
and reaches (9!/2 M.) stat. Esneux (Cobus Heuvelmans' Inn on the
hill; Hotel du Pont), strikingly situated on and at the foot of a lofty
and narrow rocky isthmus, washed on both sides by the river, which
here forms a bend upwards of 3 M. in length. The lower part
of the village is connected with the upper by a long flight of
stone steps, while the carriage-road describes a long circuit. Fine