152 Route 24. LIEGE. St. Croix.
On an eminence commanding the city rises the Church of
St. Martin (PL 13), a simple cruciform structure of handsome
proportions, erected in its present form about the middle of the 16th
century. The first lateral chapel on the r. is adorned with fourteen
small circular reliefs, well executed in marble, by Delcour. Four
reliefs in the choir by Franck represent the history of St. Martin.
The tower commands an admirable prospect (the sacristan lives to
the W. of the principal tower; admission 1 fr., and fee of a few
sous to the attendant).
The festival of Corpus Christi (Fete de Dim) was first instituted in
this church in the year 1246, in consequence of a vision beheld by St.
Juliana, Abbess of the neighbouring convent of Cornillon; and eighteen
years afterwards its celebration throughout Christendom was ordained
by Pope Urban IV., who had been a canon at the cathedral of Liege at
the time of the 'vision'. A marble slab under the organ bears an inscrip¬
tion commemorating the 500th anniversary of the festival. On 4th Aug.,
1312, the church was destroyed by fire, having become ignited during a
fierce conflict between the burghers and the nobles; 200 of the adherents
of the latter, who had been forced by the infuriated populace to take
refuge in the church, perished in the flames.
The Church of Ste. Croix (PL 9), which is entered by a gate to
the r. of No. 19 Rue Ste. Croix , and is passed on the way to St.
Martin's, is a small and simple, but interesting church, consecrated
as early as 979 by the celebrated Bishop Notger, and recently restor¬
ed , after having undergone many alterations. The choir dates from
the second half of the 13th cent., the rest from the 14th. The nave
and aisles , supported by slender round and clustered columns, are
remarkable for their light and graceful effect. The pillars are of
blue-limestone, the walls and vaulting of yellowish sandstone. The
pointed arches in the transept are filled with fourteen medallion-
reliefs, which serve as oratories. The stained glass in the choir (by
Kellnerof Munich, and Capronnier of Brussels), executed in 1854,
represents scenes from the Passion.
The Church of St. Barthelemy (PL 7), a basilica of the 12th
cent., with double aisles (originally single only), and two Roman¬
esque towers, is disfigured in the interior with stucco and painting.
The Baptistery, to the 1. of the choir, contains an interesting font
in bronze, resting on twelve oxen, and representing the Baptism of
St. John and the Apostles in relief. It was cast in 1112 by Lam¬
bert Patras of Dinant, at a period when the art of bronze-casting was
in its infancy, and is therefore of great historical value.
The Pont du Commerce, which crosses from the He du Com¬
merce to the r. bank of the Meuse, leads direct to the entrance of
the Zoological Garden, or Jardin d'Acclimatation (PL 31; ad¬
mission 1 fr.). The collection of animals is still insignificant, but
the grounds afford a fine panorama of the town and environs. Ad¬
joining the gardens is the public Pare de la Boverie (PL A, 3 , 4).
The Cannon Foundry (PL 21), the property of government, lies
on the Meuse, in the suburb of St. Leonard, and near it is the ex-