150 Route 24. LIEGE. University.
old cloth-hall, Rue Feronstre'e 65 (porter at the Acade'mie des Beaux
Arts, No. 42 in the same street).
A little to the E. of the Bourse the Meuse is crossed by the
Pont des Arches (PL E, 4), constructed in 1863 to replace the ori¬
ginal bridge of 1657, which is often mentioned in the history of the
city. Bishop Maximilian (Elector of Cologne, and Duke of Ba¬
varia) caused a strongly fortified tower , named La Dardanelle, to
be erected on the old bridge in 1685, to prevent communication
between the two quarters of the city during civic revolts. At that
period the bridge was the great rallying-point of the seditious
citizens, who were harangued here by their demagogues. On 27th
July, 1794, it was the scene of a fierce and bloody struggle be¬
tween the Austrians and the French, in which the former were com¬
pelled to retreat to the shelter of the batteries of the Chartreuse.
In 1468, when Charles the Bold of Burgundy was invoked by the
Bishop to suppress an insurrection of his turbulent subjects, the
barbarous conquerors wreaked their vengeance on many of the
wives and daughters of the unfortunate citizens by placing them in
boats, and sinking them in the river at this spot.
In the vicinity is the Church of St. Denis (PL 10), founded in
987, but the present edifice dates almost entirely from the latter
half of the 15th century. The Baptistery contains a large altar
adorned with numerous figures carved in wood, executed about the
end of the 15th or beginning of the 16th cent. , representing the
Passion, and the Martyrdom of St. Denis. The statues of the Virgin
and St. Denis at the sides of the high altar are by Delcour. The
stained glass in the choir is modern.
At the end of the Rue del'Universite, with its back to the quay
of that name, rises the University (PL 44) , erected in 1817, and
partly incorporated with an old Jesuit college. The principal court
contains a handsome detached structure, with Ionic colonnade,
lighted from above, and used as an Aula , or hall, ' Universis Dis-
ciplinis'. The buildings comprise lecture - rooms , academic col¬
lections, library (about 100,000 vols.), excellent apparatus for in¬
struction in physical science, and a small, but well arranged natu¬
ral history museum containing a fine collection of the fossil bones
of antediluvian animals found in the numerous caverns of the en¬
virons, especially in that ofChokier (p. 160). The Ecole des Mines,
a well attended institution, an Ecole des Arts et Manufactures,
and a training-school for teachers (Ecole Normale des Humanites)
are connected with the university. There are in all 41 professors
and 800 students, half of whom attend the mining and polytechnic
schools. Adjoining the university is the Conservatoire, or School
The Place in front of the university is embellished with a bronze.
Statue of Andre Dumont (PL 36), an eminent geologist (d. 1857),