Palais de Justice. LIEGE. 24. Route. 149
In the spacious and handsome Place dn Thidtre is situated the
theatre (PI. 43), erected in 1818 (performances from 1st Oct. to
st May), and restored in 1861, an edifice remarkable for its ample
imensions and rich decoration. In front of it rises a bronze Statue
if Gretry (PL 37), the eminent composer (d. 1813), designed by
W. Geefs, erected in front of the University in 1842, and trans-
erred hither in 1866. The heart of the master is deposited be-
;eath the marble pedestal. The statue is chaste and pleasing. The
ouse in which Gre"try was born in the Rue des Recollets in the
}uartier d'Outremeuse, on the r. bank of the river, is indicated
y an inscription.
The finest secular edifice at Liege is the *Palais de Justice
PL 40), in the late Gothic style with traces of a Renaissance ten-
ency, formerly the residence of the prince-bishops, erected in
508—40 by Cardinal Eberhard de la Marck, a kinsman of the
Wild Boar of Ardennes', whose turbulent career is so admirably
escribed by Sir Walter Scott in his 'Quentin Durward' (see p. 170).
'he facade towards the Place St. Lambert was re-erected in 1737 af-
sr its destruction by fire, and the whole has been recently restored.
around the large quadrangle , which is adorned with a fountain in
he centre. runs an arcade with depressed arches borne by sixty
tunted columns. The cleverly exeeuted capitals, which consist
f grotesque masks, fantastic foliage, figures, etc. , are by Francois
lorset of Liege. The court and arcades (the groining of which is
n blue limestone, the interstices being filled with brick) present a
uaint and picturesque appearance. On the W. side is the handsome
Jotel du Gouvernement (PL 30), erected in 1852 in the same style
s the Palais de Justice.
The uncompleted'junction-line between the stations desGuille-
lins and de Vivegnies, which runs beneath the lofty W. quarters
f the city by means of a tunnel, passes opposite the H6tel duGou-
ernement, near which a station is to be erected. Many of the old
louses in this neighbourhood have already been removed.
The spacious Place de St. Lambert in front of the Palais de Justice
erives its name from the ancient church of St. Lambert, which was
estroyed by the French sansculottes and their brethren of Liege in 1794.
'he ruins were removed in 1808, and the stones employed in the con¬
duction of the Quai de la Sauveniere.
The Hotel de Ville (PL 29), erected in 1714, is unattractive.
'he Grand-Marche in front of it is adorned with three poor Foun-
ains. The Fontaine des Trois Graces in the centre was erected in
696 from designs by Delcour. The two others, dating from 1719,
iear the arms of the burgomasters of Liege , and those of the Ba-
The Bourse, with its large dome, on the other side of theGrand-
darche, was originally a church of St. Andrew. It formerly con-
ained the Musee Communal, which has been partly removed to the