144 Route 22. LOUVAIN. University.
7th Chapel: *Quentin Massys, Holy Family (1509). The principal
picture represents the Virgin and Child, with two other holy women,
and children, who appear to be learning to read. Behind them
are four men, standing by an edifice in the Italian style, througl
the arches of which a distant landscape is visible. On the wings
the Death of St. Anne, and the Expulsion of Joachim from the
Temple, the former particularly fine. This work differs verj
materially in character from the celebrated Pieta at Antwerp (p.
111). Its tone is sprightly and pleasing, while in drawing and
colouring it is hardly inferior.
Adjoining the high altar is a beautiful Gothic Tabernacle (50 ft.
in height), elaborately executed in 1450 by Layens (p. 142). Op¬
posite in the Chapelle du Saint Sacrement, is a handsome marble
balustrade representing children playing.
The 8th Chapel (N. side of choir) contains a Descent from the
Cross, after Roger van der Weyden, a winged picture on a goldei:
ground, with the donors at the sides, a small repetition of a picture
in the Museum at Madrid. The same chapel contains the tombstone
of Henry I., Duke of Brabant (d. 1235), the founder of the church
(the pedestal is modern).
The Church of St. Michael (PI. 4), erected by the Jesuits in
1650—136, contains several modern pictures. The facade is worthy
The Church of St. Gertrude (PI. 7), erected at the close of
the 15th cent, in the Flamboyant style, contains *choir-stalls, beau¬
tifully executed in the florid Gothic style in the 16th cent., which
are considered the finest in Belgium. (Sacristan at No. 22, near
the principal portal.)
The Church of St. Quentin (PL 5), on an eminence near the
Porte de Namur (founded in 1206, re-erected in the 15th cent.),
and that of St. Jacques (PL 6) possess several pictures of the
school of Rubens. The choir of the latter is adorned with several
modern works, and a St. Hubert by De Craeyer, and contains also
a Tabernacle in stone, similar to that in the Church of St. Pierre.
The Halles (PL 2), erected as a warehouse for the Clothmakers'
Guild in 1317, and made over to the university in 1679, still bears
testimony to the wealth and taste of the founders. The upper story was
added in 1680. The Library, one of the most valuable in Belgium,
is adorned with a sculptured group representing a scene from the
Flood, executed by Geerts in 1839. The entrance-hall contains
portraits of former professors, and a large picture by Van Bree,
Christ healing the blind, painted in 1824.
The University, founded in 1426, was regarded as the most
famous in Europe in the 16th cent., and the theological faculty
in particular was remarkable for its inflexible adherence to
the orthodox dogmas of the Church. The number of students
is said to have exceeded 6000 at the period when the cele-