230 III. Southern Quarters. ROME. a. The Capitol;
tain, above which is a sitting statue of Rome from Cori (comp.
p. 426), much too small for its position. Michael Angelo had de¬
signed to erect here a colossal figure of Jupiter. Petrarch was crowned
as a poet on April 8th, 1341, in the great hall on the lower story
(now dark and used as a store for antiquities). On the upper floor
is another spacious hall, now used for the meetings of the civic
council. The senators' coats-of-arms (14-15th cent.) here were dis¬
covered in 1889 and 1895. The palace contains also the offices of
the civic administration, dwellings, and an observatory. The Cam¬
panile, by Martino Lunghi the Elder, was erected in 1572, to replace
an older one. The roof, which is adorned with a standing figure of
Roma, commands an extensive view (ascent, see p. 241).
The Via del Campidoglio to the right of this palazzo, and the Via
dell' Arco di Settimio Severo (p.260) to the left, descend to the Forum.
The two palaces at the sides now contain the Capitoline Col¬
lections. The Palace of the Conservatori, or town-council, on the
right, originally erected about 1450 under Nicholas V., was rebuilt
in 1564-68 after Michael Angelo's plans by Prospero Boccapaduli
and Tommaso de' Cavalieri. The Capitoline Museum (p. 236), on
the left, was erected in 1644 by Girol. Rainaldi. — The flights of
steps and triple-arched colonnades on the E. side of these palaces
were erected by Vignola (ca. 1550); that to the left behind the
Capitoline Museum leads to the church of Santa Maria in Aracceli
(p. 227); that to the right, on the opposite side, to the Monte Caprino
(now Via di Monte Tarpeo; p. 241).
A. "Palace of the Conservatori.
Comp. the Plan, p. 236. — Admission, see pp. 140, 111.
The principal door leads from the Piazza del Campidoglio into
the Court. By the right wall of the court are the hands, arm, and
feet of a colossal figure in marble; and the cube containing the
cinerary urn of Agrippina, wife of Germanicus, which in the middle
ages was employed as a measure for corn. By the left wall are alto-
reliefs of Roman provinces, separated by barbaric trophies and wea¬
pons, which were found in the Piazza di Pietra (p. 193); also a
colossal head of Constantine the Great (perhaps from his basilica,
p. 253). — In the centre of the colonnade opposite the entrance,
a statue of Roma; at the sides, statues of barbarians in grey marble.
To the left, in the corner, a colossal bronze head; right, a note¬
worthy antique group of a horse torn by a lion, said to have been
restored by Michael Angelo.
In the Entrance Hall : opposite the staircase, 30. Modern
Columna rostrata, with the antique fragment of an inscription in
honour of C. Duilius, the victor at Mylae, B.C. 260 (the original
was probably replaced at the beginning of the imperial period by
the extant marble copy). Below the window is a statue of Charles