-sza 111. Southern Quarters. ROME. a. The Capitol;
the life of San Bernardino of Siena, painted about 1484 by Pintu¬
ricchio, restored by Camuccini. The decoration of the ceiling also
deserves notice. — Left Aisle. In the 2nd Chapel a manger
(presepe) is fittedup at Christmas, i.e., a gorgeous and brilliantly
illuminated representation of the Nativity in life-size, with the
richly decorated image of II Santo Bambino, or Holy Child. Be¬
tween Christmas Day and Jan. 6th, from 3 or 4 o'clock daily,
children from 5 to 10 years of age here recite little poems, etc., in
honour of the Bambino, a carefully studied performance, but usually
accomplished with great naturalness of gesture and manner.
Transept. On the right and left, by the pillars of the nave, are
two "Ambones from the old choir, by Laurentius and Jacobus Cos-
mas. The chapel on the right contains handsome monuments of the
Savelli family, of the 13th and 14th cent.: to the right that of Pope
Honorius IV. ; to the left those of his father and other relatives
(incorporating an antique sarcophagus). — The left transept con¬
tains an octagonal canopy, borne by 8 columns of broccatellone (a
kind of marble), called the Cappella Santa, or di Sant' Elena.
Beneath the altar, destroyed during the French Revolution but re¬
stored in 1883, the remains of St. Helena are said to repose in an
ancient sarcophagus of porphyry. The present altar encloses an an¬
cient altar, bearing the inscription Ara Primogeniti Dei, which is
said to have been erected by Augustus. At the end of the N. tran¬
sept is the monument of Matthaeus of Acquasparta (d. 1302), the
general of the Franciscans, mentioned by Dante (Paradiso, XII. 124).
To the left is a colossal statue of Leo X., near which a slab marks
the tomb of Felice de' Fredi, who discovered the Laocoon group
(p. 341) in his vineyard near the Sette Sale.
Choir. To the left, the handsome tomb of Giov. Batt. Savelli
(d. 1498). From 1512 to 1565 the high-altar was adorned with the
Madonna of Foligno by Raphael (p. 331). The donor, Sigismondo
Conti da Foligno, is interred here. The present altar-piece is an
ancient Madonna, ascribed to St. Luke.
The Franciscan monastery belonging to the church was pulled
down in 1888 to make room for the Monument of Victor Emma¬
nuel II., designed by Count Gius. Sacconi. The work, which is being
erected on the N. end of the Capitol, has already swallowed up over
eight million francs as the cost of the site (p. 193), substructures,
preliminary operations, etc. When finished, it will include an
equestrian statue of the king, rising in the centre of a platform,
surrounded by colonnades and approached by massive flights of
steps. The colonnades are being richly decorated with mosaics
and paintings, and the apartments in the basement are to be fitted
up as a Museo Storico del Risorgimento Italiano. A glimpse of the
operations may be obtained from the Via della Pedacchia or the
Via del Marforio.